100% natural tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
100% natural tank?

I'm putting a critter keeper on my desk for one of my male bettas, but the configuration is such that a filter is not an option, nor is a powerhead. I can put only a light atop it-

I was planning to put about .5" of dirt, and then .5" of eco-complete (its what I have on hand; heard it works well) and then plant heavily with fast-growing stems (ideas on those species?), some java fern, some crypt wendtii, and this terra cotta head with java fern attached.

I'll do water changes as needed (probably weekly), it just wont have a filter.

tank is roughly 3g, light will be a 9w CF. obviously the only stock will be a male betta.

do you think this will work, or is it asking for trouble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sure it'll work fine. i would do a weekly water change for sure though.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah, I figured. considering its such a small tank though, it shouldnt be too hard to keep up with weekly water changes, lol.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
On a 3g I would say no if it was anything other than a betta. The conditions aren't ideal though....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Go get a 10G tank. it's only $10. It'll make everybody happy.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I realize their are more ideal setups to be had, but my only alternative here is to house him in a divided 10g, which I would like to avoid because I think individual housing is always better than divided tanks. I've heard of success with other similar setups (heavily planted, 2.5-3g, betta, no filter) but I wanted to get some opinions on it.

so- heavily planted, single betta, 3g tank, with weekly 50% water changes?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:22 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
That should work just fine. I'd also add some fast growing floaters to soak up excess nutrients.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Use a heater, Marina makes a 10W, 17W & 25W. They are very small easier to hide. I'm using the 10w on my 4gl Finnex for my HMPK Betta.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have an extra one of those pre-set black pad heaters on-hand (what I like to use in my betta tanks) to use if I need it, but I've run nearly the same setup (same tank and light, just different substrate and plants) and didn't need it, but I can always pop it in if I need to!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like the idea, but want pictures.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a 3g jar that sits 20 feet below a skylight. Two years ago I put a 5 leaf anubius in it. During the summer months I keep a betta in it, during the winter months I keep white cloud minnows. I do weekly 75% wc's on it. That 5 leaf anubias now has 15+ leaves on it. I do dose excel daily, but that's it, not ferts, no lights, no heater.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll definitely post pics once its up :P I want to wait to fill it until I get some more plants in. my current plan for plants is some wisteria, crypt wendtii, java fern (wavy and narrow leaf), and float some salvinia. this is what I have one hand- I'll probably add some water sprite and maybe sunset hygro.

if I see that weekly waterchanges and heavy planting aren't keeping down ammonia, etc, then I'll get a filter, but I'd like to see if I can do without one, which I'm hopeful that I can.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As long as you stay on top of the water changes - can't really miss many scheduled changes - and it doesn't get too cold wherever this tank will be, I think you'll be fine.

It must be heavily planted though - very heavily. In fact I would make sure stock a lot of plants in to begin with vs. letting a few grow - I wouldn't expect a lot of fast growth so you'll need dense flora at the get-go, imo. Also make sure not to overfeed the betta - very careful here! You may even be able to add a couple amano's to further digest anything that falls to the bottom.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:05 PM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
At least add a small small air pump with an airstone. Will circulate water and provide o2.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You have a good plan. I have a betta at my office in a 1 gal tank. No heater, no filter. Just the standard light although I beefed up the reflector with aluminum foil.

Substrate is a bit of leftover floramax. plants are didplius dandria, pelia, and java fern.

Everything is going great. I do weekly 50-75% water changes. It's been setup at least 6 months now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode