What is the best snail bait for night traps?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is the best snail bait for night traps??

I have 1 tank that's overrun with both plants (which I like) and snails (which I don't). It has a mated trio of Apistogramma cacatuoides, so I want it to stay pretty overgrown with saggitaria.

I'd like to start catching the snails (european ramshorn and "pond" snails) and toss them into my other tank, which has several loaches (yo-yo, B. dario, and a couple others). They'll make quick work of the snails.

Any suggestions on the easiest way to trap them? What kind of bait should I use? I need something that he Apistos and the 4 dwarf cory cats could pick at, but not scatter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Everyday scrape the snails of the glass with a net and drop them in your loach tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use new life spectrum h2o stable wafers which hold up for 24 hours or so and by the time they finally disintegrate or are almost gone, the snails come take over

They literally pile up and take over the remnants of the wafer haha

also everything in my tank goes for them including the rams and cardinals

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
A piece of zucchini works too and actually nicer since you can lift it up with all the snails attached to it

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The 24 hour long wafers are a good idea, as is the zucchini, I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscichlid View Post
Everyday scrape the snails of the glass with a net and drop them in your loach tank.
The tank is literally wall to wall saggitaria and subwassertang. Scraping the glass isn't feasible lol. Especially a daily thing. Plus, the snails are all over the place and only a few on the glass at any point in time.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
I have heard that lettuce is good snail bait, put it in a plastic bottle overnight and in the morning you can lift out the bottle with the snails inside. (your dwarf corys might get in there too, but should be easy to dump out)

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Kill the Queen

The drones can then be baited with lettuced bottle
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I use a small disposable plastic cup - the type you'd use in the bathroom. My tank is very deep so I made a small hole in the top edge of the cup and ran a long piece of string thru it and tied it off. Then I put a piece of cucumber or squash or really any vege in the cup (I attach the vege to a stone if needed to weigh it down) in the evening and lower it into the tank with the string hanging out the top. In the morning I pull it up by the string and I have a cup full of snails. I prefer this method even in a more shallow tank just cause I don't have to stick my hands in there. Also, there is no danger of a fish getting stuck in the cup.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Great, I'll try this tonight. May have to use carrot though.... we're a few days behind in grocery shopping .

Thanks all!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
cucumbers
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Simple sinking algae wafers have always been snail magnets for me.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 PM

Get a large Mason jar, make sure it's clean. Fill it with Romaine lettuce leaves. Lie it on it's side with stems facing out, (so they go in farther) and be sure to empty the snails in the morning. They'll come out during the day. Wafers will work, if you don't have a pleco and any kind of dwarf catfish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode