Bleaching a ceramic diffuser... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bleaching a ceramic diffuser...

Just tought I would share some knowledge. Cleaned my diffuser today. Just poured straight bleach into the cup with an equal part of water (VERY STRONG) and within a half hour it was white and bright again. Problem was...bleach leached through the ceramic and into the glass chamber. After smashing my head against the wall I fugured it out...

In your kitchen sink fill a glass to the rim with clean, fresh water. Turn the diffuser upside down and hang on the glass with the stem in the water and the ceramic part on the outside of the glass. Important: the stem must stay in the water through this whole process. Run hot water from your faucet over the bottom of the ceramic cup and watch air bubbles get forced out into the cup of clean water as a result of air expanding in the chamber. Now immediately turn the faucet to cold and the unit will suck in clean water as the air in the chamber contracts. Repeat this many many times until you have enough water in the unit to swirl around and shake out through the stem. Repeat this whole process until what you shake out no longer smells like bleach. It is tedious.

For me I did it 5 times. For added measure I added some de-chlor to the cup of water and did it a 6th time. Then one final time with a new fresh glass of water. Wow seemed like overkill, but not really considering the time and effort I've put into my tank. The unit was clean, and absolutely no signs of bleach left. All in about an hour. Hope this helps someone!!!

And no there was no risk of breaking the unit from temp extremes. They just aren't "extreme" enough. And if they are you need to turn down the thermostat on your water heater...you're throwing money out the window!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
couldnt you just shake the excess water/bleach solution out of the stem...add a little dechlorinator and call it a day? dechlorinators are pretty strong and most work instantly...unless youre dealing with like a 2.5 gallon...I cant see it being much of a problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Or get a syringe and suck or push the water out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
All I do is fill itup with water, hook it up to the co2/airpump, flip it over and let the pressure force the water through. I then repeat, using dechlorinator in the water used to fill(a syringe is fastest way to fill) and again push water through using air pressure.

I then rinse off and let it go.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
you are talking about the ceramic diffuser for CO2 right? Been trying to figure out how to clean it since it's all dirty from algae.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
This method works without any issue:
Simply leave the diffuse running with gas going through it......then add to bleach.......Tilex works better IME.......then after 5-10 minutes, pull it out, rinse and then add to a cup of water with dechlorinator for another 5-10 while running, then return to the tank.

Simple.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Haha well this was my first time cleaning it, on a 14 gal biocube...didn't want to take any chances. And it is DIY so leaving the gas running would be a little less effective I think. Or not, as long as pressure remains in the chamber under the ceramic, no bleach H2O can get in. Great ideas here, sound a lot less tedious than my method. Thanks!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Do you have too clean Inline diffusers, because I don't know how you could.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Dont know if you do have to clean them also, I would imagine so, but the same method could work for those as well...

crap I just put it in a cup with bleach water...well now I hooked it up with my co2 and am just letting it run...ugh..hope the bleach didnt have time to leach into the diffuser...well I am just going to soak it overnight in some strong dechlorinator and really hope for the best...or if it smells like bleach at all then I will try to do what the orignal post says and purge it with hot and cold water...ugh

-=:Sketch804:=-

Fluval pimp #31

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
I was going to do this today actually.. mine used to be clear... It's now superrrrr brown

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
i bleach my diffuser biweekly. works wonderfully, and i just rinse and shake out the water.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode