plant ID's? (NO idea what these are!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
plant ID's? (NO idea what these are!)

so I got a bunch of those betta-bulbs for a few of my tanks; ended up with these three growing and looking good; two appear to be the same species, one I'm not so sure about. it's significantly brighter green than the others, but it was grown in high light (20watt CF over 2.5g; didnt realize how bright it was and changed it quickly to a 9watt) and the two larger plants (one bright green, one reddish brown/dark green) have very similar/identicle flowers.

the two reddish ones sprouted in a 5.5g with a 15watt NO light, and a 29g with a 24watt T5HO and CO2.

the shots of the plants themselves:

the bulb of the smallest (all 3 bulbs basically looked the same, I was surprised the plants came out so different):

and the flowers:
(green one)

(reddish brown one)

right now they are in a 2.5g minibow with stock filtration, a 9watt screw-in CF, standard sand/gravel, and a betta

I am planning to tear down this 2.5g and re-start it with the same setup but using eco-complete substrate; should I keep the plants in there, keep certain plants in there, or move them all to other tanks? I have a 10g NPT with 2X15watt strip lights, or the 29g with 24watt T5HO and DIY CO2.

in any case, will cutting the flowers off harm the plants? or can I leave them underwater and let the grow their stalks to reach the surface again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The first one kinda looks like a sad amazon sword :P
or a crypt.

Cutting the flowers off will not do anything other than allow the plant to spend more energy growing, rather than flowering. Putting them underwater will most likely kill them (could be wrong here...)

Sorry I'm not of anymore help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

huh; it does kind of look like some sort of sword- but I didnt think swords grew in those bulb packs.

like I said, these were all grown from "betta-bulb" packs, from bulbs that looked rather like little tiny onions. regardless, I think I'm going to try moving them to my 29g for now, since I need more plant mass and want to re-do this 2.5g.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
They are a Aponogeton sp. Not sure which species though.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
yep Apon. Undulatus

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh yay! that's what I've been hoping they were! I have them in a 10g NPT tank now- do you think I should move them, or are they gonna choke out all the other plants?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode