PTrader: (1/100%)
My eye feel dizzy when look at the tank

I just set up a new tank:

75 gallons glass tank.
1 T5 HO light. 6500K with reflector.
eco-complete substrate.
Few live plants currently.
Few fish/shrimp

Whenever I look at my tank, and my eye move from 1 location to another location in the tank. My eyes feel dizzy.

This also happened to my family members when look at this tank. So, this is not my eye problem, but the tank problem.

Does anyone experience with this problem? Can it be a T5 HO light?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Is it a bow front? Sometimes I get a little queezy looking into a tank from an odd angle. The bow fronts get me everytime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is a rectangle tank. I didn't feel like this on my another 30 gallons rectangle tank.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you look at the tank from the corner of your eye, from peripheral vision only, do you see the lights flickering?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
If you look at the tank from the corner of your eye, from peripheral vision only, do you see the lights flickering?
The light bulb is brandnew, I don't think it has this problem yet. I don't feel the light refreshing.

I guess it is glass of the tank.

I look straight in the front (my eye close to the tank), my eye moves from 1 location to another, I just feel dizzy. If I put my eye very close to the tank and look down to the bottom - front side corner, I can't even see anything.

So, my guess is, it is the tank.

If anyone confirm this, that would be great.

Thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 AM
JSA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would it be possible to post a picture?

Julia

It's just a box of rain....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A 75g does have thicker glass than a 30g. Since glass bends light differently than water, it will be more noticeable, like a lens effect. I've never heard it referred to as dizzying, but it can be distracting.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

Try changing the layout of rocks plants ....... Try just one focal point. Check out the aquascape sec of the forum .. I was just going through that last week.

Good luck.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Float glass (as most aquarium glass is produced) is not always perfectly flat and often has some slight irregularities (imagine waves/ripples over a large area). This causes different amounts of diffraction making some parts seem warped and making you dizzy. On top of this, if your tank is tempered, the surface tension can cause further noticeable effects. Though float glass is supposed to be 'perfectly' flat, once you add water, these very slight variations become highly visible at certain angles or when shifting focus

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, just going on a whim here

My 75g likes to make everyone feel sea sick as they approach it but once up close you cannot tell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I think it's his family, are there any gas appliences in the house???

I've never heard of such a thing, only bow fronts and acrylic tanks give that magnified look. My tank has 1/2 inch glass and it never bothers me.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Stand at the end of the tank check for bulging of the front of the glass. Maybe there is some distortion from that? My old thin walled acrylic tank has convex reflections on the front pane and concave ones from the back pane, spooky looking!

Do check the air quality, gas or carbon monoxide can really sneak up on you.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I think it's his family, are there any gas appliences in the house???

I've never heard of such a thing, only bow fronts and acrylic tanks give that magnified look. My tank has 1/2 inch glass and it never bothers me.
Lmao. My 75g does the same thing. It's the refraction of the glass, not his family.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethespiral View Post
Lmao. My 75g does the same thing. It's the refraction of the glass, not his family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
A 75g does have thicker glass than a 30g. Since glass bends light differently than water, it will be more noticeable, like a lens effect. I've never heard it referred to as dizzying, but it can be distracting.
Thank guys. That sounds right. Moreover, I believe the reflection of light around the walls, light fixture reflector, and substrate also contribute a portion to this as well.

That says, looking at the plants is better than looking at the substrate. <-- that is what I notice

Once I have a chance of getting home before night, I would check about light reflection issue.

So, now I'm thinking about to cover all substrate with the plants. Hope it reduces this problem <--- any idea on this?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM
GDP
Banned

Yeah my only guess is its the glass impurities and bends. My petsmart tanks make me kinda dizzy if I get up real close and try to look at the inside of the tank at an angle.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

..have you been drinking?

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode