algae- should I add another bottle of CO2? ferts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
algae- should I add another bottle of CO2? ferts?

my 29g is currently cycling; it has eco-complete substrate, 1 24watt T5HO for lighting, and a 2L bottle of DIY CO2 changed about every 2 weeks and diffused with a powerhead (airline attached to impeller).

I have some slight algae problems in the tank (bit of BBA on java fern tips, some soft HA-looking stuff (probably is HA), and a few what look to be diatoms).

my questions is, is this algae likely because of the cycle? or is it because their is too much light in relation to the amount of fertilization/CO2?

should I add another 2L bottle for CO2?

and should the tank be getting dosing from anything? I was going to order the middle-tech solution from Pfertz for dosing, but dont want to do it unless I have to (its like 38 shipped, which is $38 I'd rather have to spend on plants).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
youre gonna have to go pressurized with that light i thinkkk....

My ADA Mini-M
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Is your tank heavily stocked with plants? If not, do so. Your light intensity is low though for a 29g with 1 24w T5HO light. The diatom is normal. Not much you can do about them other than just wait it out or gets some Ottos to clean them up. The Java Fern isn't exactly a fast grower. Plant some fast grower stem plants so that little nutrients are left for the algae. Probably you don't want the light on for more than 10 hours a day.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10galfornow View Post
youre gonna have to go pressurized with that light i thinkkk....

Eventually....... For the moment, 1 bottle is fine considering the light is low and the tank may not be heavily stocked.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You'll be fine with those lights. All tanks go through the algae phase in the beginning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Contrary to other opinions above, that tank doesn't have low light. It has high light, unless the light is about a foot above the top of the tank, or possibly, unless it has very bad reflectors. When you get BBA you can almost always be sure you have high light, at least where the BBA is starting. Slow growing plants sitting high in the tank will very likely always get BBA, even in a low light tank, which will probably have high light near the top of the tank.

A second DIY CO2 bottle should help speed up the plants growth rate, which will help prevent algae from starting again, once you get all of it removed from the tank now.

Hoppy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Children Boogie

+1 on the extra CO2 bottle. When I had my 29G, I ran 2 bottles.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well, the offending java fern with BBA is fairly high in the tank, and if it makes any difference I think it may have come with the algae.

I'm in between getting plants for this tank, I'm planning to place a largish order and heavily plant the tank.

as for stocking, it will probably be somewhat heavily stocked but for now is going through a fishless cycle.

I'll definitely add another bottle of CO2, just need to get a 2L bottle of soda and empty it, lol :P

should I be fertilizing in this tank, though? that was really my biggest question...

EDIT: also, the light is about 4-5" above the surface of the water, and I'd heard that with 1 bulb T5HO over an 18" tank with the light suspended that high, light intensity is usually medium?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
R u sure it's BBA? I had a similar thought on my new tank. Turned out the java fern leaves were slightly torn and the torn leaves become nurseries for baby java ferns. The roots come out black and bushy before there are leaves.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I dont think so; I dont remember (removed the leaves) but the baby plants were very small and hadnt developed root systems, I think. regardless, the infected leaves are gone, and I dont see any more this morning (BBA, that is). I dont mind having a little bit of BBA, I just dont want a tank full!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Children Boogie

You need ferts and remove BBA as soon as you see it... They are a pain.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode