Moving a Fish Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Moving a Fish Tank?

I'm going to be relocating from Central NJ to MD in the next couple weeks. I have a 29 Gallon Bio-Cube with about 8 Bee Gobies, 2 Amano Shrimp and an undermined amount of CRS in the tank. I have a couple Moss balls and some Java Moss growing in tanks also.

Anyways I'm looking for pointers on making the move with the tank. I have 2 5 Gallon Plastic Jugs to fill up with the water in the tank already (not sure of the water Chemistry or quality at the house I'm moving to in MD, so figuring this should help with the change), plan on catching the Bee Gobies and putting 2-3 in each plastic bag to help with the O2 levels, but I'm at a loss with the best way to catch the Shrimp in the tank, outside of using a net. I saw about using a trap, but between getting put into a trap, then spending another 3-4 hours in a plastic bag, this might get very stressful for the shrimp.

Once I get everything setup again in MD, do I have to worry about my bacterial colony getting wiped out and worrying about Nitrates, etc again? I have a sponge filter in the tank and bio-orbes the tank comes with, but if they aren't stored in water, would they lose their bacteria they've built up over the past year or so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Keep all bio media damp with plenty of air (in that makes sense).

How long is the trip?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Algae Grower

In the past, I put all my fish and some filter media along with some plants in a large rubber tupperware containers. It worked pretty well but it is extremely heavy so I used buckets to add the water and returning it to the original tank afterwards.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Are you doing this in one trip?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
Keep all bio media damp with plenty of air (in that makes sense).

How long is the trip?
So put in a container with air inside of it

I'm figuring about a 2 hour drive from my old place to the new house..so figured add an hour breaking down and another hour to set back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Are you doing this in one trip?
Was planning on it, thankfully I can move major items first then I was planning on getting the Tank last after the big move.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've done "two trip" moves before and they are much easier.

Do a big water change 25-30% two days out & keep feeding light.
Put your Flora & Fona 1/2 your water in Rubber made totes or buckets. Heater in with the animals. Run the filter in the tote or bucket is an option.

Move the stands, tanks, lights etc. 1st trip. with 1/2 the tank water. Set up in new place.

2nd trip bring in your Flora & Fona.

When I moved last time I sold, took store credit or gave away all but a few either raw or fish I had "history" with. It just made the whole thing go much easier.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I don't know much about the 29 Gallon Bio-Cube tank but I moved my 90g with enough water in it to keep a few stubborn fish and shrimp alive long enough to move it 40 miles. Just removed all the stones and driftwood that might shift during the move. Cleaned the canister about a week before and on moving day just drained it. It was all we could do to move it with all the substrate and water but all went well. Fish went it 5g buckets of tank water with a lid.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I move too much and I always, always bag the fish. More work on the front end, but it makes it very easy to do the move and set things up again. Bagging also eliminates any need to rush, the fish are safe in them for quite a while.

First I collect enough bags from the store to keep the fish uncrowded and double bagged.

I do a nice big water change on the tank to freshen things up, bag the fish with 1/3 water 2/3 air just like the fish store does, bag the filter media the same way.

Put these bags into a cooler, which helps stabilize the temperature and keep the fish less stressed in the dark.

Put the substrate into a bucket, plants into a bin with just enough tank water to cover them.

On the other end I replace the substrate, fill the tank 3/4 with new water and condition, set up the filter (and for my most recent move the co2) and let it run for a few hours to aerate and stabilize and reach desired temperature. add the plants, float the fish, pour the fish into the tank. Top off the water. I leave the light off until the next day.

I don't feed the fish for 3 days prior to the move, that way they keep their bags nice and clean.

Never lost a single fish or cycle on a move, and have moved aquariums a good ten different times, ranging from 10g to 110g.

Good luck

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode