First Planted Tank - Need Input - Pics Included - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Planted Tank - Need Input - Pics Included

I am completely new to planted aquariums as well as aquariums in general. I am using natural gravel as a substrate. Fertilizer and carbon supplements are also being added to the tank.

How much time should elapse before I add fish? What can I do to help these plants grow? Is there anything wrong with the setup?

Also, I am clueless as to the identity of these plants. Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated!

The tank is 20 gallons. I am using an AquaClear Powerfilter 50 and a 10 watt bulb.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0045.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	34523  

Name:	IMAG0049.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	34524  

Name:	IMAG0048.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	34525  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
you need to fully cycle your tank before adding fauna, google search 'fishless cycle' as you dont really have enough plants for a planted cycle.

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

900x750x450 optiwhite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
not sure of the plants you are using but
Im assuming an incandescent 10W bulb....so i dont think you have enough light either

Fraternity, Inc. #33

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I doubt the plants will grow well in that gravel.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
gravel is fine as long as you are dosing fertilizers (make sure you are dosing a complete fertilizer set-Macros and Micro nutrients)

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
plants in the back look like some type of grassy sword. like a larger cousin to micro-sword.

Plants in the front of crypts I dunno what type though.

suggestion would be to separate the crypts into plantlets. I'd expect each bunch you have to actually be at least 3-4 plants.

If your tank uses screw in incandescent then I'd replace your bulb to a 23 watt screw in CFL in the 5000K-10000K range.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode