Swamp smell in Walstad method tank associated/following recent deaths? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Swamp smell in Walstad method tank associated/following recent deaths?

Maybe about a week ago two of my synodontis petricolas were found floating at the top of the tank. It had clearly been a day or two. I tend to forget about the tank sometimes other than tossing in food.

I was particularly intrigued when I heard thrashing at the water's surface and whipped out a nice 1.5w LED flashlight and to my dismay, all 8 of my petricolas are at the top gasping for air, along with my two SAE. Otos, rams, and all but one cardinal seemed to be okay

Two of the petricolas along with one of the cardinals were lifeless at the top. The cardinal had some sort of disease and was pretty much pineconing up until his death. Could it have been this one fish that got my two petricolas killed? I was in no position to think, the wretched smell was one that would make anyone run to grab the python. 2:30am and I'm doing an emergency water change on a tank that hasn't had one for nearly? half a year.

Over the course of two days and 4 water changes (starting from 30% and gradually increasing to a final one of about 65%) and some new fresh NLS food since I ran out, everyone is delighted. But I am still stuck with this swampy smell. Does carbon really work well? Should I keep changing water?

On a side note, things really do come in threes. My NLS food ran out, one of my cheapo t5ho lights burnt out, rendering my fixture useless, AND three deaths

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Best guess I have is a crash in KH which I've enjoyed once with an NPT.
Bio is going to take time to balance again but carbon does work removing odors.
Sorry to read of your hassle.

Dirt tanks are a set it and forget it type of tanking,,, but not for too long, this reads like too long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
There are many different variables. What is your ammonia level? nitrate/nitrite level? Is the tank cycled? If they are gasping at the water surface they need oxygen. Is the tank well oxygenated? How often do you change the water? What have you been putting in the tank other than fish food? Too much decaying organic material could cause this.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H View Post
There are many different variables. What is your ammonia level? nitrate/nitrite level? Is the tank cycled? If they are gasping at the water surface they need oxygen. Is the tank well oxygenated? How often do you change the water? What have you been putting in the tank other than fish food? Too much decaying organic material could cause this.
did you read his post?

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Your soil has gone anaerobic. H2S is released and is toxic. Ammonia could also be a factor. Do lots of water changes and poke the soil to release the gas. Add lots of plants from the start and trumpet snails to aerate the soil.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

believe this is the tank he setup in November 2010. Case of neglect NOT new.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
did you read his post?
I feel you on this, I swear half the people on here only read the first sentence of the OP before giving irrelevant advice, or ignorantly repeating advice someone in the same thread has already posted.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlug182 View Post
I feel you on this, I swear half the people on here only read the first sentence of the OP before giving irrelevant advice, or ignorantly repeating advice someone in the same thread has already posted.
LOL careful,
while reading the details of a topic is not required before posting a reply hostile replies are indeed frowned upon.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

wkndracer: Would a KH crash result in a pH drop? Right before I last topped off the tank I tested the water which read pH 7.6 (7.7-7.8 from tap), and about 5ppm nitrates

mistergreen: just did that and barely anything came up Most places without plants have about 1-2mm of sand covering the soil, allowing plenty of diffusion to take place and bubbles to rise. It feels quite spongy, but water-wise

Right before this happened I remember I also dumped in 5g of fresh clean water to raise the level back up, and submerged the spray bar which was previously creating a lot of disturbance. The thing is that the tank ran like that for months and nothing happened.

I certainly have much more sensitive fish than these guys. And before dumping in the 5 gallons they were all active, up to the deaths, and even after not noticing the corpses for a few days. Maybe it was the organic carbon buildup, who's to tell.

I'm going to throw a really good sized amount of carbon in the filter soon here

Thanks for the helpful input
And the not so helpful

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
^^ you can't deny the swamp smell. That's H2S.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Without injecting CO2 (just a fry grow out tank) I tested 7.2 -7.4 pH and the following day my wife said 'honey all the fish are at the top of the tank',,, it was full of lfabn at about 1" long (about 50 of them). I got concerned as they never come up. KH was zero on a chemical drop test and the pH had crashed overnight. Plants ate the carbonates that's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL.

After a dirt tank has settled in the only thing taking one out here has been a crash as described. I hope you figure out what's happened.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
^^ you can't deny the swamp smell. That's H2S.
Okay, water changes it is then. Can having full coverage over the tank, other than what's needed for heaters and hoses to stick out also cause a buildup? My hypothesis is that because the H2S gets trapped under the lids it slowly mixes in with the water rather than airing out. Along with the old water + new tank (in relative terms)

Should I lower the water level enough so the spray bar is disturbing the surface? I've currently gone ahead and done so ever since that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Without injecting CO2 (just a fry grow out tank) I tested 7.2 -7.4 pH and the following day my wife said 'honey all the fish are at the top of the tank',,, it was full of lfabn at about 1" long (about 50 of them). I got concerned as they never come up. KH was zero on a chemical drop test and the pH had crashed overnight. Plants ate the carbonates that's my story and I'm sticking to it LOL.

After a dirt tank has settled in the only thing taking one out here has been a crash as described. I hope you figure out what's happened.
I don't have any test kits for hardness and didn't even bother testing the pH before changing the water. I like mistergreen's theory more so than a kH crash, and I hope I never experience another one LOL. But I was also told in another thread that the pH dropping even down in the 6's was normal because at one point I tested and my tank was somewhere in that range.

I hate losing fishies. Especially the petricolas. I'll be damned if it was the rams or oto's though

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode