power head placement ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
power head placement ?

Wanting to go with a small power head as my diffusor for my co2. Whats the smallest powerhead that I can get for my 10 gallon tank that will still take an airline tube?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The powerhead doesn't "take and airline tube". You need to find a way to poke it into the inlet area of the powerhead, so the bubbles get immediately sucked into the rotor and chopped up. I have used the smallest powerhead I could find at the LFS, a "mini jet" as I recall, and I have also used a Maxijet 600. Both worked fine in that job.

If you do a needlewheel type mod to the powerhead rotor it works best. I just used a hot needle to poke holes in the rotor paddles, but there are more sophisticated mods that probably work better. I think all of the powerheads I still have have the holes in the paddles. One type that I don't think will work well is the Koralia type.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use a mini Hagen elite as a co2 diffuser as described in this article and it works surprisingly well. It wont push water around as much as a powerhead, but it will make a much better co2 diffuser than a powerhead and provide some water movement.

http://bit.ly/flAXHg

The Fraternity of Dirt # 17

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used one of those hagen mini elite also, got it for $6 on clearance. It has a spot to connect an airline to, so just pump your co2 right to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 on the Hagen Mini Elite. I'm using one as a diffusor on my 20g on the mid-setting for flow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode