how to kill snails?!? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
how to kill snails?!?

i have pond snails in my tank. i just broke it down completely and have my java moss in a bucket with an air stone. i also have the biological filter pad thing taken out of my hob and i put it in the bucket with the air stone bubbling through it. i am hoping that might keep the beneficial bacteria alive.

i am wondering if there is anything that i can put in the water that will kill the snails and snail eggs and keep the plants and hopefully the bacteria alive. if the bacteria die then oh well, i will just cycle the tank again. the fish are in my other tank and they are fine.

will the moss be ok for a while in the bucket without a heater?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A good way is to not feed them so much. Less food and the population will naturally decrease. I actually like snails (MTS, pond, ramshorn) in my 90g as they work hard at cleaning detritus and munching on algae.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i have read that snail populations don't always go down with less feeding. i don't think that i over feed. i feed only a small amount once a day. i really cut the feeding down a few months ago because i thought that was what was causing the problems. it didn't help and then i read that it doesn't always help.

i believe i have bladder snails actually, not pond snails.

i have been doing some reading and it seems that any chemical means to get rid of the snails will mess other things up. i guess i am stuck with them

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Trd t ╦σ R├r.

PTrader: (363/100%)
Get some Red claw macro...Interesting shrimp to have in tank+ to take control of snails.

Cheers!!!
J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
kind of drastic
you can put a chain loach in
or you could put a slice of cucumber or zuchinni in overnight (repetitively) they will flock to it and you can pull it out in the morning along with the snails (you will have to weight it down or get a veggie clip)
i hear you can salt them but i have little knowledge of such matters
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They'll definitely go down if they have less to eat. It may not be as satisfyingly rapid as nuking them with something however. ;-)

Msjinkzd has some chain loaches (botia) which are very neat and eat snails. Won't bother big snails like nerites however. Just saw them today on a roadtrip!

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
Get some Red claw macro...Interesting shrimp to have in tank+ to take control of snails.
i would LOVE to! i can't seem to find any anywhere. do you know of anyone who will ship to rural newfoundland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlug182 View Post
kind of drastic
you can put a chain loach in
or you could put a slice of cucumber or zuchinni in overnight (repetitively) they will flock to it and you can pull it out in the morning along with the snails (you will have to weight it down or get a veggie clip)
i hear you can salt them but i have little knowledge of such matters
i was thinking about zebra loaches. i have been waiting for my lfs to get them in. until recently i have had amano shrimp in my tank. i have moved them to my other tank (well, everyone is there now, but i am keeping my shrimp in the other tank when i set this one up again) now so i think i will get some for sure when this one gets set up again. i know there are going to be millions of shrimp eggs in the moss, even if i wash it a thousand times.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think Zebras will have much effect on snails. Chains (botia) will.

Jim

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:10 AM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't know much about the snails but I know some will make some kind of dip for the plants before they put them in a tank so they don't get a snail infestations but I don't know what's in the dip or what plants it can be used on so hopefully maybe someone will post about that too. And the java moss will probably be just fine with no light and such. I had left some in a different tank with no light, filter and air stone and it was just fine for several months. Good luck with the snails.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Cucumber slice every night before bed, in the morning it will be covered in snails, take out the slice and toss.

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 AM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ihilation.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...id-snails.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ng-plants.html

Here's a few threads about what people use for ridding snails. Make sure what ever you use that it doesn't have copper if you have shrimp.

I went with the clown loach when I had that problem and then gave him back to the store when he was done. Really hated those dang snails. lol

Good luck!

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
There is one deworming medication, Flubendazole, that supposedly wipes out snails with no negative side effects. I have not tried it myself.

The things that I've used:

1) Manual removal, either by hand or using bait.
2) Adding more snails of a more desirable (and less profilic) species, to compete for the food supply of a less desirable species. My current favorite is Red Ramshorns.
3) Loaches. I have a weather loach that will rapidly eliminate every bladder snail in any tank I move her to. She'll eat some of the Ramshorns too, but doesn't wipe them out; which is good since I want those.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I just add a double or triple dose of aquarium salt and do a 50% water change right after...the salt will melt the snails just like it does slugs. 100% removal guaranteed

SunSun Pimp #57

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
I don't think Zebras will have much effect on snails. Chains (botia) will.

Jim
yeah, it was chain loaches i was looking into... i mixed them up.

thanks for all the help guys. i will have to wait until next weekend before i can do much work on the tank. school starts again tomorrow...
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Just kill them everytime you see them and remove any eggs you see on the glass or plants. Eventually you'll get rid of them.

-----
Brad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode