No Filter, no heat, no current...how long can it last? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Unhappy No Filter, no heat, no current...how long can it last?

We all learn from our mistakes, right?

Set up a 29 gallon yesterday...Hooked up the used 2215 after much frustration and borrowing of parts from my new-in-the-box 2217, turned it on and...leaks like a sieve! In addition, as if that wasn't enough, the inline heater that I bought is the wrong size and will have to be exchanged.

Well, I had to do something with the plants that I had bought for his tank, so I went ahead and stuck them in there. I have a cycled filter on another tank that I was going to put on here, but if I do that, I will lose the bacteria since I can't add fish without the heater.

So, we have light, eco-complete substrate, very cloudy water, no filter and no heat. How long can these plants live like this? I am hoping it is long enough to order the part for the filter and exchange the heater. Is there anything that I can do to keep them safe until I get my parts?

Thanks for your help!

~Lissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
It should be fine for a couple of days, do you have an air pump and stone you can run in the tank until you get settled? A little movement and O2 will certainly help, water temps in your area should be ok without a heater, and use the lighting as you would normally.

Are your plants low light, low demand, or high light, and nutrient hungry???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatPeekin View Post
We all learn from our mistakes, right?

Set up a 29 gallon yesterday...Hooked up the used 2215 after much frustration and borrowing of parts from my new-in-the-box 2217, turned it on and...leaks like a sieve! In addition, as if that wasn't enough, the inline heater that I bought is the wrong size and will have to be exchanged.

Well, I had to do something with the plants that I had bought for his tank, so I went ahead and stuck them in there. I have a cycled filter on another tank that I was going to put on here, but if I do that, I will lose the bacteria since I can't add fish without the heater.

So, we have light, eco-complete substrate, very cloudy water, no filter and no heat. How long can these plants live like this? I am hoping it is long enough to order the part for the filter and exchange the heater. Is there anything that I can do to keep them safe until I get my parts?

Thanks for your help!

~Lissa

No heat in Texas. Are you sure ?

A Powerhead pump. There must be a fish or pet store in Houston. Get one or two of appropriate output. Not to much though don't want you fishies swimming against a strong current constantly.

What's the temp in your place ?

Do you know that a light fauna load in this tank would not require a filter ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants can last a while. Some water movement wouldn't hurt although not sure if it'll help a lot either.

As long as its not a hi-tech setup, you're ok. Many people run their main tanks normally without heat, filtration or much current. Of course they plan their flora and fauna around this concept. You haven't planned it out for these conditions (of course) but as long as this is temporary..perhaps a week or so, you'll be ok.

If you had fish, this would be an entirely different answer :P
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks to all of you.

The temp has been holding steady at 76.6 or so since it was filled yesterday. I have to pick up a new small heater for my QT tank, so I supposed it it came down to it, I could stick that in there if necessary. Might be a little small for the tank but would probably be ok for a little while until I can get my heater swapped out.

With the heat problem out of the way, I decided that it will be ok to add fish, so I went ahead and put a cycled filter from one of my other tanks on there. It's not ideal, but it is generating some current and will help clear up that cloudiness from the new eco-complete.

The plants in the tank are cabomba, wisteria, lace java fern, crypts, amazon sword, java fern, some kind of a rotala (macrandra maybe?), and some unknown monkey grass looking plant.

I'm not sure that I am going to have enough light in this tank for the rotala. If it doesn't do well then hopefully it will at least survive until I have my high tech tank set up.

The eventual stocking plans for this tank are around 15-20 small tetras (glowlights and neons), a honey gourami, a BN pleco and 7 panda corys. I think I'll need a filter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
So, we have light, eco-complete substrate, very cloudy water, no filter and no heat. How long can these plants live like this?
Quite possibly indefinitely, although that isn't really the best environment for them.

I know from experience that most plants can survive in a bucket of water for several weeks as long as they are getting some light, and the water is of a reasonable temperature (Don't set the bucket out in the sun.).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Just finished sitting up my new 56 column. Prime the brand new Fluval 305..... Its leaking all over the place!!!!!!! Took it apart, put back together same thing. Very frustrating. Takeing it back first thing in the morning. They open at 9:00. I Feel for you.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Brand new? Argh! I would be very angry, indeed!

My eheim is used. Turns out the sealing ring is completely shot. Something I will definitely know to check in the future! Honestly, I have had so much trouble in the last couple of months with used equipment that I am not sure I will ever buy anything used again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode