Canister Filter for Smaller Tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Canister Filter for Smaller Tanks?

I'm doing a 29 gallon riparium thanks to hydrophyte, probably a South American biotope (not a "strict" biotope but w/e). Most canister filters, including the highly touted Eheim which I wanted to go with, have their smallest model's GPH at a pretty substantial amount for something that has a water volume of only 15 gallons. A bit of an overkill, right? I guess the GPH can be adjusted to be somewhat reasonable (correct me if I'm wrong), but it still seems like overkill. Should I get the smallest model of Eheim or do I have more viable options? I don't want to sacrifice quality and get some crappy no-name brand though. Thanks!

*I wrote this post assuming canister filters are best for ripariums, I'm pretty sure they are but then again, what do I know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well I have an Eheim 2213 which isnt too much for my 20 tall, in fact I think it could use a little more current. I don't think changing the flow of the filter is beneficial to the lifespan of the pump though. I think the 2213 would be fine for 15 gallons, and if you can find one even smaller it would definitely not be overkill. I do not have any experience with other brands of canister filters though, someone else might be able to chime in on that.

The Fraternity of Dirt # 17
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use xP1's on my 20g longs, not too much at all....

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
2211 or Fluval 105 should be fine. Both can adjust the flow down and both will give you significantly larger media capacity than a HOB.

Depending on your bioload, you might even be able to get away with a 501.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm running a Rena XP1 on my crystal tank, which is only about 7.8gallons, and a jumbo sponge filter in there as well. My 20gal long has 3 jumbo sponge filters, and 2 aquaclear 20's and an aquaclear 70. More the merrier!

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
You can use the Rapid's Mini Canister filter or the Finnex canister. I have them both and they both work perfectly. Quite and don't require any maintenance as of yet. Had them both for about 3 months.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

People act like Eheim is god, so it makes me reluctant to "revert" to any other brand. XD
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
At the end of the day, I suppose it depends on if the job gets done. Some people like to pay hundreds of dollars for substrate too, but that certainly doesn't make it the thing that must be done. Even Eheim is loosing it's pull around this forum as people are realizing that all the parts are now being outsourced and made in China and it is becoming as ghetto as most of the cheaper models.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just got an Eheim Ecco 2232 for my 10g. I do turn the flow down a bit. But so far I love it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Op, let me try to help you out here.

I had a Tom mini canister on my mini-m in it's infancy. It clogged within a couple of weeks and flow trickled out of it. They have absolutely no capacity for media and you have to purchase their media. When parts eventually broke (within two months) since you cannot purchase replacement parts I had to buy another one. By that time I could have purchased a used 2213, which I eventually did and am still running that used for 5 years before I got it 2213 for the past 3 years with out even one single problem.

People praise their Eheim classic filters because they are the most efficient/productive/quiet and reliable filters on the market. There is nothing bad to say about them for real.

They are losing no ground to the Chinese models. Sure a some people are buying them but whether it is 3 months or a year something will break then when they realize that you can not get replacement parts (like the Tom canister) and realize that they have to buy another one just to get their broke one running again I'm pretty sure it will be the last time they "save some money" on a canister filter.

Also since the motors in at least the eheim classics is a electromagnetic motor you can do no harm to the motor at all by turning down the flow on the outflow side. It will cause no problems whatsoever.

So for your roughly 15g riparium a 2213 would suffice but I think a 2215 would be perfect. It's better to have more than not enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Op, let me try to help you out here.

I had a Tom mini canister on my mini-m in it's infancy. It clogged within a couple of weeks and flow trickled out of it. They have absolutely no capacity for media and you have to purchase their media. When parts eventually broke (within two months) since you cannot purchase replacement parts I had to buy another one. By that time I could have purchased a used 2213, which I eventually did and am still running that used for 5 years before I got it 2213 for the past 3 years with out even one single problem.

People praise their Eheim classic filters because they are the most efficient/productive/quiet and reliable filters on the market. There is nothing bad to say about them for real.

They are losing no ground to the Chinese models. Sure a some people are buying them but whether it is 3 months or a year something will break then when they realize that you can not get replacement parts (like the Tom canister) and realize that they have to buy another one just to get their broke one running again I'm pretty sure it will be the last time they "save some money" on a canister filter.

Also since the motors in at least the eheim classics is a electromagnetic motor you can do no harm to the motor at all by turning down the flow on the outflow side. It will cause no problems whatsoever.

So for your roughly 15g riparium a 2213 would suffice but I think a 2215 would be perfect. It's better to have more than not enough.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceGrover View Post
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
Good luck. You can always shoot me a PM ifyou have any questions.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No offense to you, the OP, because I (and most others) was in your boat when I first set up my tank. The GPH flow rate creates a mental image that exaggerates the reality.

In fact, I initially bought a ZooMed 501 rated for 76gph for my 20G thinking it'd be enough despite people telling me on these forums that it won't. I put it on and realized that not only couldn't turn the water over fast but it could barely filter anything even a week into operation (no filter media capacity relatively speaking). When you look at the whole spectrum of canister filters, you quickly realize that lower flow rate usually means a much smaller filter. Lower flow rate then really translates to lower filter media capacity and so on - usually by a lot.

A canister filter - eheim size and style - is appropriate for any tank 10G and up. For your 15G, a 2213 would probably be sufficient. However, I would advise you to get a 2215 in a hobby where overfiltration is the norm. You can always baffle the flow through the outflow taps or simply by positioning the spraybar to hit the back wall.

A 2215 would also help you upgrade to a larger tank if you ever decide to. A 2213 alone, won't be able to do that.

As far as Eheim goes..I went with it because the only gripe about it was price. Others have gripes that exceed just price and go into quality (some don't have many complaints but Eheim had almost none). Simple as that.

Good luck!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

I currently use a Zoo Med 501 on my 10 g and it states 79 gph. Works great for me not sure about your application though... just thought I would put it out there.

45 Gal. Planted / 10 Gal. Planted / 6 Gal. Planted.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode