Help with ideas! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with ideas!

Hello everyone!

I have been reading over a few forums the past month or so and today decided to sign up here, most the information i have gathered well came off this site so only seemed fitting.

I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of a hand, my 2 new tanks are sitting here (5x2x2 and 4.8x1.6x3 LXWXH) new to the whole planted tank idea and wanted to give a non C02 method a shot with a dual fluro lights! Also going to try the non water method then cycle the tank with some pure ammonia.

I have some dupla root nutes for one tank which will host my discus and hopefully a lot of nice plants my other tank I just want to get some live plants going but mainly keep the rock/driftwood look.

I have spent the past 2 - 3 hours looking at plants trying to figure it all out myself but have slightly given up I was hoping someone could spare a few minutes to just name a few carpet and bushy plants that require low light and not much C02, There are just so many and I am kind of brain dead and unsure whats a good choice.

Thanks and sorry for my first post being such a big ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome to the forums!

So you're going to do a dry start then a fishless cycle? Sounds like a perfect plan. Some foreground plant ideas are marsilea, staurogyne repens, crypt parva, and Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis would look great as a carpet for a large tank. Click on the species to see a full carpet of the plant.

PS: Looking for plants is usually boring, but looking at aquascapes is usually funner. Check out some of these link:
https://plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...=view-showcase
Change the year to see previous entries ^^^^

The fun part about this is that you get to see the plants in action and how others incorporated them into the scape. A good way to see new ideas.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

this is kinda a big ask so i will grant you one answer, what you are doing sounds alot like what i am doing but i am four weeks ahead so i can give you some advice, co2 will not need to have any roll in your tank and i like the dual lighting system your talking about i have a 17g community and a 6g fry tank along with a 10g turtle tank my 6g has nothing in it but snails (rejected from my 17g) and fake plants for you i would start small and do one tank at a time i have my 6g all set up but wont do anything with it for a month. also about your plant questions i hate to say it but i did the same thing i spent hours online, thought i knew what i was doing, went to the store and found out there are hundreds of plants, so you find the plants you like and ask what grows in low light and is easiest, trust me they will know! (if you see the tantilizing look of the banana lily dont buy it they are hard to grow), anyway just ask about carpet plants that grow in low light and co2 to me is just a gimmick for those who really want a mega awesome tank, but i dont think thats what your going for. furthermore finding a good substrate is key for carpet plants, dont do what i did and say substrate is substrate because now my java ferns arent looking so good, also you probably know this but if you get shrimp for your tank put them in early so they can establish dominance. sorry for my confusing rant, fondly- fishman

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
IME, most store employees have no clue on what aquarium plants need to thrive.

The substrate shouldn't have any effect on how java ferns grow.

Aquarium rule isn't first come, first serve. It's a 'who-fits-in-my-mouth' situation.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 on all that!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies, feel asleep in my PC chair !!

I had a quick look at the pictures, Must say the staruotopica looks amazing! the other links did not show any pictures I will try to have a play around tomorrow

Thanks for the Info also fishboy, Have a thread anywhere so i can have a peek

I will also try to get some pictures up of my tanks tomorrow

Thanks again
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
IME, most store employees have no clue on what aquarium plants need to thrive.

The substrate shouldn't have any effect on how java ferns grow.

Aquarium rule isn't first come, first serve. It's a 'who-fits-in-my-mouth' situation.

I agree, when I was younger it was walk in ask and agree, Now i walk in ask a Q along the lines of can I keep guppies with oscars etc then you can see what most lfs want is just money, not all but most, not sure about plants but just my 2 cents in regards to more fish!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode