suggestions for my kindergarten class? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
suggestions for my kindergarten class?

i just got a job teaching kindergarten

i would like to bring my old 10 gallon tank to school for the kids. i am planning to do silk plants rather than having to deal with live plants.

what fish would you suggest for the tank? i was thinking guppies because the kids would love the baby fish but i don't think that is a good idea. i don't want to have to deal with all the babies.

it is just a standard little walmart job, no great filter, just a hob.

what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Planted Member

Platies, Guppies, Small Tetras, maybe even Shrimp.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Swordtails are so easy in every way to tell male from female, take care of, and watch have babies. Plus they are pretty colors for the kids.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys.

I would love to get some shrimp! I wonder if I could get the shrimp breeding in the tank? That would be cool.

I will have a look for swordtails.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
I say either platies or swordtails since the females look nicer the guppy females.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i would say shrimp bc what r the chances the little guys saw little shrimp like that. plus shrimp r awsome, easy to breed, easy to care for, cheap and you can cram a ton of them in a 10 gal. i would stay away from the livebearers bc you kind of need something to do with the 1000's of babies. kids like diffrent. i think fish would b booring, but shrimp would get an o wow cool reaction.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

This is a project I would do, but since it's a new job, just worry about doing the job for the moment. You can do the aquarium later on.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 02:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Congratulations!

My husband is doing his student teaching this semester, and he's got a kindergarten class right now too! He would prefer third or fourth grade, but you know how it is. Anyway we've been thinking about whether he will put a tank in his room, when/if he ever gets hired... I asked this question on another forum the other day, asking for suggestions... I learned a lot!

First things first, check with the administration to be sure you're allowed to have a tank. If so, you should probably mention to the maintenance staff that you will be setting up a tank in your class, so they can give you any guidelines they have, and they can also help you keep an eye on it after hours.

You can do guppies, just do all males. Voila, no babies! If you do shrimp, you could do ghost shrimp, 'cause they look cool, are super cheap, and seem to be pretty much indestructable.

And, if you want to go super-SUPER-easy, what about snails? Apple snails come in all kind of cool colors, and then of course nerites will keep the glass clean for you! Kids love to watch the nerites scrape the glass with their cute little mouths!

Just a few suggestions, hope they help! Good luck and have fun!!!

Amy
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 03:50 AM
Planted Member

Jap trap snails are much larger and thus more stimulating for the kiddos. I think the kids would just be a little disappointed if there are no fish, and guppies seem the easiest for that. I just set up a tank for a little kid and the more life the better.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks for all the tips guys!

Amy, congratulate your husband for me kindergarten is exhausting but extremely rewarding. when i did my internship i really wanted a younger grade but got grade 6. i was terrified but it was so SO great. it is great to get out of your comfort zone to push yourself to see just what you can do. i am sure your husband will love it!

thank for the tip about checking with the admin. i am sure it will be ok, but i will definitely check.

i can't get snails, they are illegal to sell in newfoundland. they are considered an invasive species.

i am really leaning towards shrimp. i just have to find some. my lfs doesn't usually have many shrimp. they seem to be in high demand now and i guess the store i go to isn't high on the list for getting shrimp. they usually have red ones (not sure what they are) and bumble bee ones and amano shrimp. the amanos are so cool but don't breed in fresh water so i will skip them.

shrimp will be ok with silk plants, right?
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
shrimp will be ok with silk plants, right?
sure, as long as they have plenty of biofilm to munch on, and plenty of hiding spots. You may want to consider fake plants and real java moss. the babies like to hide out in the moss pluss its almost maintence free.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks I have tons of java moss in one of my tanks now.

Now, a little problem. I live 250 km from the lfs so I can only go on the weekend. What should I do with the shrimp until i can get them to school on the following Monday? My school is about an hour drive from where i live in the other direction so I can't really go there until I go back go work on Monday. I can set up a small Rubbermaid container with a heater and an airstone. Will that be ok?

Also, what should I get to feed the shrimp since there won't be much algae in a new tank?

Thanks!
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cherry barbs or white clouds and some shrimp and snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

One thing to keep in mind, the kids will put their hands, toys, coins, etc in the tank. You'll want to keep an eye on the tank, and the better the lid, the less chance of the kids doing it. Whatever you do, don't leave the fish food out where the kids can see it, because they'll decide they want to feed the fish while your back in turned and dump a TON of food into the tank.

My mom donated several tanks to the school when I was growing up, and even 3rd and 4th graders couldn't seem to keep their hands and foreign objects out of the tanks.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would reconsider shrimp only because shrimp are small. This means that the kids will have to get close to the tank to see them and enjoy them. This means that the tank is accessible to them (potentially) and they can touch it.

If you can somehow manage to keep the tank visible enough to spot the shrimp and still maintain it in a safe, out-of-reach space, then go for it. Otherwise, I would consider putting a larger, more attractive fish in there that they can see from afar. Shrimp hang out on the bottom of the tank and even then, they're not easy to spot unless you're close up. Either way, closed top is pretty much necessary to avoid objects being dropped/thrown in there.

My GF's nephews (just two boys) need to be watched constantly when it comes to the fish thank..a larger 20G. A 10G won't put up with much abuse. If you had a very large tank, then this wouldn't be much of a problem - even they won't be able to harm the thing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode