New Shrimp Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Shrimp Tank

So im about to begin on a 10 Gallon shrimp tank, and ive been slowly purchasing items one by one, and i just a have a few more things I have to buy.

I have my HOB filter rated just for 10 gallons, i have my driftwood ready, and 10lbs of black gravel for my substrate. All i need now is some lighting, and some plants.

I was just wondering if I would need a heater for the Shrimp, what kind of lighting would be ok, and which plants should I use for this tank. Is my substrate ok being just gravel? Im trying to keep the price low so you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
If your focus is on keeping shrimp, then yes, gravel is fine.

Most lighting is fine, try to aim for daylight (6500k or higher) bulbs if you want to keep plants. I just use regular CFLs with screw in clip on lamps.

You probably will need a heater for your tank unless the temp in your house is stable all year long.

For plants - MOSS Moss is perfect for shrimp tanks. Java moss, Christmas moss, Peacock moss, Willow Moss, Weeping moss...so many mosses. They are great for low light tanks. Fast-growing stem plants are good as well, though some of them may require higher lighting.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Piffy, where did you find CFL bulbs that were rated 6500k? or are you doing a low tech tank as well?

I am most definitely going to do Moss since it is easy to maintain, and doesnt really need fert to my knowledge. What kind of heater do you suggest, or use? i wanna get one that will last some time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
a "daylight" cfl will get you pretty close. i think they are around the 6000 range here locally... home depot, menards, ace hardware. lowes... any of those places will do

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Wolf, hopefully the bulbs are too expensive. How many light fixtures should I use for my 10 gallon tank? is just one fine?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I would just get a standard 10 gallon flourescent hood that takes a T8 bulb and then go get a Repti-Glo UVB 2.0 bulb(petsmart reptile section). its what i'm using on my 12" tall 15 gallon and its working great. The UVA/UVB helps the shrimp, the bulb is 6500k and has a 98 CRI. Its growing my moss and low light plants perfectly.

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
I would just get a standard 10 gallon flourescent hood that takes a T8 bulb and then go get a Repti-Glo UVB 2.0 bulb(petsmart reptile section). its what i'm using on my 12" tall 15 gallon and its working great. The UVA/UVB helps the shrimp, the bulb is 6500k and has a 98 CRI. Its growing my moss and low light plants perfectly.
Hmm thats interesting. Never heard of shrimps needing/wanting UVA/UVB. I mean it makes sense but just never heard it mentioned before. May I ask where you got that from? I know a decent amount about those bulbs as I keep a bearded dragon. But if you are using a glass top the UVB/UVA will be lost through the glass.

Also it depends on what kind of shrimp you are wanting to keep as far as what your perameters should be. If you have hard water you will need to use an active soil like shrimp stratum or aquasoil. If you already have soft water you should be good. Driftwood is good as well as moss for plants.

Honestly istead of a hob filter I REALLY recomend http://www.aquacave.com/azoo-oxygen-...ilters-12.html #5 will be perfect for a 10g. Its safe for shrimp babies and great for biological filtration. And a little mechanical. For shrimp only tanks its more then enough. Just need to get a good air pump to use with it.

I highly recomend starting off with say painted fire red shrimp. They are basically a selectively bred cherry shrimp to be very red. More interesting color wise then regular cherries and just as hardy. And almost as cheap. Check the for sale section. Oh and they breed like rabbits. Damn I just typed out a novel.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode