my first planted nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
my first planted nano tank

so basically this is the first time ive decided to plunge into the world of nature aquariums. just have a few questions about how to get started.....

during the cycle should i have plants in the system?

is co2 injection a necessity? if so how many bps for a 4 gallon finnex?

what's substrate do you recommend? i am torn between ada amazonia and eco complete which do you prefer?

thanks for you time this is really gonna help me out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well I'm not sure about those two substrates, but I do know it's ok to have plants while you're cycling and CO2 is not a necessity but if you don't use it you'll want to search around the forums a little more and make sure you get plants that can still thrive w/o it. I would find the list for ya but gotta run to work :P
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Both of those substrate work fine. You can have plants during the cycle. It is really hard to determine the bps since every tank is different. The best way to go about that is to get a drop checker or just watch the livestock.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
plants help cycle aquariums. the have beneficial bacteria on their roots. they absorb ammonium/ ammonia. definitely put ur plants in
bps is relative to your equipment only. each system will have a different bubble size, pressure rate and the innacuracy of the person counting.
i can flip my bubble counter over to the way its supposed to go and i get like 9 bps on my 29 gallon i flip it backwards for big bubbles, and i get 2- 3 bps.. HUGE difference.. same flow
c02 is not nessecary with most plants provided u give proper fertilizer and lighting conditions. water has a carbonate and c02 equilibrium the plants use without C02 injection. the best thing to keep that going is surface agitation of the water. and weekly water changes

also LESS LIGHT means less need for c02.. if u fertilize properly, have good water movement and u have algae. reduce light

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for all the help! Just got the tank in today
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Plants are no problem during cycling, and in fact, a heavily planted tank may not even have a noticeable "cycle" at all.

How much lighting you have will determine the need for fertilizers and CO2. With low lighting, little or no fertilization may be necessary, and CO2 would not be needed. With higher lighting, ferts and CO2 become essential for healthy plant growth. DIY CO2 would be very effective on a tank of that size. Another option would be to dose Excel, a liquid carbon source.

I've never used Eco-Complete, but I have used Amazonia and been very happy with it. If you use Amazonia, be aware that it does give off an initial ammonia spike, so you cannot add any livestock right away.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode