The plant room - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Question The plant room

I am going to be setting up a few tanks in a back room of my house to grow and sell plants to local stores. The tanks will have no fish. My question is what will I actually need? I am going to have CO2 injection, dosing, lighting etc, question is, do I need some kind of filter? Or just some kind of water circulation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would think all you need is good water circulation. A filter is basically just a big nitrogen sponge....something your plants would enjoy doing instead.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
l
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
It is always handy to have a filter to keep the water clean and to provide circulation. All kinds of debris builds up in a tank like that and moving plants in and out can be very messy. Besides, you would be surprised how often fish just seem to appear out of nowhere in tanks like that.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Planted Tanks

Good morning NWA...

A venture like this will cost some money, because you'll need to grow a lot of plants to make up for your time and effort.

Fish would be a real benefit, because they're one of two sources for macro nutrients like calcium, phosphates, potassium, etc. the plants will need. The other being large and frequent water changes that replenish essential minerals.

The micro nutrients you can get commercially, so those aren't an issue.

Might need to rethink the "no fish" decision unless you can find a commercial source for the macros.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

Not only would the fauna provide various macros for the plants, making it easier on you, but depending on which species of fish selected, you might even have found another source of income if you could manage to find a fairly common and simple livebearer to breed in the tanks as well. Simple meaning finding a species that frequently breeds in your water conditions. I figure worst case it would help supplement your funds as far as refilling co2 canisters/jugs and/or fertilizers.

To save a few more bucks, I would also consider purchasing the nutrients in bulk from a supplier and mixing the fertilizer solution on your own. If you haven't done that before read up on dosing, I saw a sticky awhile back that explained it all pretty well, ill see if I can't find it as a reference.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Tough to make a "real" profit in completely artificial growing conditions. At this level I think of the extra plants as a way to supplement the expense of the hobby. Common fast growing species don't demand a high price even at retail. I can take in a bucket of plants that are already lead banded and get 8-10 $1.99 fish in trade. Cash value would be even less than that. Your local LFS demand may be higher but around here there's simply not enough demand to justify the LFS spending much time maintaining many plants.

Commercial wholesale pricing on the common stuff is pretty darn cheap.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
You might have more luck selling in the swapnshop than at a lfs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Might as well put in some fish, always cheap ones to be had! I realize to really turn profit I would have to really invest some money. This is more as stated above am way to support my fish hobby. I have a very good relationship with a LFS here and the owner hates fake plants. So its to help supplement their tanks and my credit with them. right now I will probably have 1-2 55 gallon and a couple of 20 high for low light plants such as java fern etc. will most likely have a 20 pound CO2 feeding all the tanks. Never really thought about breeding, fish to... But heck why not!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 PM
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Not to discourage you but it seems you should talk to aquarium plant commercial suppliers and get idea from them. from you post it also seems to me you are relatively new to growing plants in tanks (me too). I would be happy to be wrong on that though.

All the suggestions here are good for a hobby but you will need to invest a lot upfront (CO2, lighting, dosing, filter, etc). Since your LFS just want live plants, and your purpose is to sell plants not showing your tank, I would grow some easy rooting plants in low tech style (= cost saving) with just dirt as substrate (= cost saving) and no CO2/dosing/filtering (=cost saving) whatsoever. All you need are three things:

1. light (energy source)
2. nutrient in the substrate to feed the roots (not the leaves)
3. Good circulation (O2/CO2 from air can always easily enter water).

Check out the link in my signature it might give you some idea. I would love to see your business thrive!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Most of the items I already have, so it wont be too much to move over my excess equipment to start growing some plants in a few tanks. Its really as much of a hobby as it is to make a little income on the side. Mostly like I said is to build credit with my LFS, plants for fish/merchandise

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode