Have a question about DIY CO2 yeast generator - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have a question about DIY CO2 yeast generator

Hello everyone,

I recently made a nice little CO2 generator that seems to be working pretty well. I ran the tubing into the intake of my canister filter, which I read is a good way to disperse the CO2 in the tank. Now here's my question - The first night it started to work, we could hear it and see when it would shoot CO2 out of the spray bar. It would make a gurgling noise and spit out a bunch of fine bubbles. Now it has not made any noises and we have seen no bubbles coming out of the spray bar for a day and a half - but even though this is happening, there are tons of bubbles coming out of the tube and traveling up the intake hose, about 1 to 2 bubbles a second. So I am wondering if the CO2 is getting stuck in the canister filter, or is it getting so pulverized that we just can't see or hear the CO2 being released into the tank anymore? I would appreciate any input/advice from anyone who has done it this way before. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Here is my guess. It is possible that the CO2 is forming a large bubble inside the canister. Literally, the CO2 bubbles are trapped inside the canister. Try to shake the canister to see if you see more bubbles coming out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

try tilting the canister over on an angle, that should shout all the trapped gas out

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I don't know about gas being trapped in there creating a huge bubble. Likely the initial air being expelled was from the canister being opened and then closed again when you hooked up the air tube. 1 to 2 bubbles per second can easily be diffused completely. I guess the for sure way to find out is wait a day or so. You will hear the filter get louder if there is air being developed within the canister as the water has to splash around more.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
How long were the bubbles coming out of the spray bar? If it is not making that chopping noise filters do when they get air in them then I would think they are getting trapped in the filter but then eventually some should pop out.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
How long were the bubbles coming out of the spray bar? If it is not making that chopping noise filters do when they get air in them then I would think they are getting trapped in the filter but then eventually some should pop out.
They were kind of just burping out every few minutes for about a day. We would hear a whoosh then a gurgle as they came up the hose, and the spray bar would spit them out. I don't know if a canister filter would make that choppy noise if air got into it. And to the above reply too, we didn't open the canister at all. We just put the tube into the intake where the water gets sucked up the filter. I did shake the cansiter around and some more came out of the spray bar, but I am just trying to figure out why it's happening that way or if it is supposed to, because everything I've read says that using this method to diffuse the CO2 is supposed to work pretty well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (17/100%)
The bubbles you heard and saw initially were a result of trapped air. Once all the air was expelled, the bubbles stopped. It actually sounds like the CO2 is being fully dissolved. I ran 2 diy co2 tanks into my canister for a few months and I never had any cavitation or burping. It would be very difficult to get burping and trapped co2 with a diy setup.

As long as you can see the CO2 is going into the canister...you are good. Some sort of diy bubble counter is extremely helpful...sounds like you have one if you can see the bubbles.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode