NEED HELP: canister filter advice nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
NEED HELP: canister filter advice nano tank

I setup a 5.5 gallon iwagumi scape about a month ago. I'm currently letting the HC grow into a carpet. I am going to build an ADA style stand for it. Anyway I am wanting to get a canister filter that can go in the stand under the tank. So if anyone can share their personal tanks and experiences with canister filters on NANO tanks that would be great. I really thought
I would go with either the Eheim 2211 or 2213 but hearing some of peoples complaints with recent build quality I am now unsure. Also I need a quiet filter....really quiet, nothing bugs me more then hearing my filter running (the tank is in the living room so i am around it a lot.) thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
sadly i dont have any experience with eheim, only sunsun and zoomed. That being said, I found a sunsun 302 with a valve on the outtake to lower the flow definitely works on a standard 5 gallon lol. And stay away from toms mini rapid canister filter and the zoomed 501, totally not worth it and not enough flow.. I would think the eheims you mentioned would work perfect.. but i've also been reading complaints about them a lot lately, especially for the price you have to pay for them and their a lower gph filter then the sunsun at twice the price..

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
sadly i dont have any experience with eheim, only sunsun and zoomed. That being said, I found a sunsun 302 with a valve on the outtake to lower the flow definitely works on a standard 5 gallon lol. And stay away from toms mini rapid canister filter and the zoomed 501, totally not worth it and not enough flow.. I would think the eheims you mentioned would work perfect.. but i've also been reading complaints about them a lot lately, especially for the price you have to pay for them and their a lower gph filter then the sunsun at twice the price..
Are you sure that will work because from looking from other peoples reviews they said there was way too much flow from the 302 on a 10 gallon?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
put a ball valve on the output to control the flow and as long as u dont restrict the inflow. it wont hurt the filter.

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anyone else have any advice
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a Zoomed 501 that I bought about three weeks ago and so far it's been nice. I don't hear it at all and seems to do a good job of filtering the water on my 6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium. We'll see how it holds up over time, but initial thoughts are good.

One piece of advice, though, is to look in the box for the spray bar. The one I bought had two intake tubes, but no spray bar. When I went to exchange it for a new one, that one didn't have a spray bar, either. The guy at Petco did go get one from a 501 in the reptile department, so there seems to be an issue with the packaging of the 501 Nano, located in the aquarium filter section. The 501 in the reptile section is the same filter, just different packaging.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode