Melting plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Melting plants

I recently set up a little tank (actually a two gallon fish bowl) that I want as a low tech tank. I have miracle grow organic as the substrate (mixed with the substrate from the lake which is pretty sandy), covered by aquarium gravel and planted with a couple plants from a lake near my home. I dont have any CO2 setup. But every time I tried putting those plants in, they stay alright for a day or two and then start melting.

Could anyone please help me?

I disinfect my plants by soaking them in 2 gallons water with two table spoons of bleach and then change the water a couple times to rinse off any left over bleach before putting them in the bowl.. What am I doing wrong, or is it something with the way I am disinfecting them, or problem with the substrate...Any and all suggestions, comments welcome.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's difficult to give an answer without knowing how you light the bowl and what kind of plants they are.

If you aren't trying to keep fish in the bowl then I wouldn't bother "disinfecting". That could then be eliminated as any possible cause.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I didnt mention that earlier. The bowl gets natural sunlight from the window, may be 6 hrs of direct sunlight and 2-3 hrs of indirect.

I have tried Vals, Cadomba, Ceratophyllum, and Ludwigia. Only the Ludwigia survived. I want to have guppies at a later stage, so that was the reason I wanted to disinfect the plants.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
cabomba and ludwigia need a decent amount of light.. and until until the roots settle into the dirt the plants have no nutrition unlessu fertilize the water column

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Do you suppose using Flourish Excel twice or three times a week (used according to the ratio suggested, of course) until the plants take hold and decreasing dose after that, will suffice? Or should I feed them something else too?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

that will help. but they probably need nitrogen, phosporous, potassium, and trace minerals pick up a bottle of flourish comprehensive at minimum

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

and remember they were most likely getting direct sunlight from the lake.. a bowl by the window is NOTHING compared to what they were getting.. also is there any type of water movement in the tank? if not get an airstone at minimum

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get an air stone and comprehensive asap. I just put a lamp (a common desk goose neck lamp) over the bowl. So that might help a bit too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would be concerned about the direct window sunlight - through the window it can end up too much, and the water can get very hot too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
How about some pics of the plants? That might help as well.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode