Yeast Reactor vs. Pressurized - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yeast Reactor vs. Pressurized

With my yeast setup at the moment, I'm running about 1 bubble per second out of a standard size air line. (I assume that the bubble per second measurement is dependent on the size of the tube it's coming out of. Smaller tube, smaller bubble, more bps.) Anywho, I can achieve this for 3 weeks before I have to change one of the two gallon yeast jugs.

My real question is how much CO2 the average user is using and at about a bubble per second, am I keeping up with that same output using yeast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have five pressurized bubbles per second in a 46 gallon....how big is you're tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SunSun Pimp #57

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What size is your tank? The bubble rate will be a lot higher for a 55 gallon tank than for a 10 gallon tank.

Hoppy

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah, yes. Tank size; that was the variable I was missing.
It's on a 20L, so I suppose worrying about too high of a concentration is in order. But with the amount of 02 the plants are putting out, oxygen levels should be good. Is there a toxicity level in regards to CO2? I aerate significantly at night, so I'm not worried about suffocation. I've been looking locally for a hardness test kit to calculate my concentration of CO2, but they don't seem to be carried anywhere. I'll have to get a drop checker online, unless there's a DIY version of that.

Anyway, I guess I answered my previous question. With the mixture I use now, I can manage 1/2 bps per 1 gallon jug for roughly 3 weeks, sometimes four. So for a larger tank, at 5 bps, I'd need ten gallon jugs per 3 weeks. Staggered, that would mean changing a jug every two days or so, which wouldn't be ideal.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
No matter what size the tank I would always think pressurized would be the way to go, its just so much easier and way more accurate in the amount of co2 us want to use.

SunSun Pimp #57

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I think if you plan to plant the tank very dense with high light, you should be looking at 2 to 3 bps. This is all depending on the size of the tank. I have a 40g tank and somewhat medium dense with the plants, using high light. I could get by with 1 to 2 bps. It takes about a week for the bps to drop to 1. I was using DIY yeast CO2. I think my CO2 diffusion was good too using a powerhead to chop off the bubble into a fine mist.

Of course, I was moderately plagued by the hair/fuzzy algae and brown algae. I realized that I need more CO2 to prevent further algae outbreak. I added another 2L bottle. I immediately noticed some new growth with about 3 to 4 bps. However, by mid week, the bubble rate would drop to 2 to 3. I then realized that yeast activated CO2 isn't the solution. Too weak and too costly to maintain a good, consistent output.

Pressurized CO2 is the way to go but it does have its short coming. Currently experimenting paintball CO2 system. Thinking about going full out with an industrial grade regulator. The paintball CO2 system is too unstable. The O rings can go bad for no reasons and next day you are leaking half of the CO2 in the tank.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I understand completely, pressurized is by far the most efficient way to do it. I guess I'm just a purist in that I like seeing a life cycle. The yeast breaks the sucrose into CO2 and alcohol, the plants use the CO2 and nutrients from the fish and bacteria to grow. My current recipe is pretty stable and I only see fluctuations at the beginning and end of the cycle. But for a good week and a half I have a stable 2 bps that, even with the ladder, was definitely doing it's job. Zero algae, and my watersprite needs pruning every other day, (which consequently leaves me with 10 to 12 baby plants a week, if anyone wants some of those.) My wendtii red puts out at least one new leaf a week, and the nearly dead amazon sword I rescued is coming back quite quickly.

Should I ever go to a bigger tank pressurized will definitely be in my future though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris767 View Post
I understand completely, pressurized is by far the most efficient way to do it. I guess I'm just a purist in that I like seeing a life cycle. The yeast breaks the sucrose into CO2 and alcohol, the plants use the CO2 and nutrients from the fish and bacteria to grow. My current recipe is pretty stable and I only see fluctuations at the beginning and end of the cycle. But for a good week and a half I have a stable 2 bps that, even with the ladder, was definitely doing it's job. Zero algae, and my watersprite needs pruning every other day, (which consequently leaves me with 10 to 12 baby plants a week, if anyone wants some of those.) My wendtii red puts out at least one new leaf a week, and the nearly dead amazon sword I rescued is coming back quite quickly.

Should I ever go to a bigger tank pressurized will definitely be in my future though.

You need to factor in the cost of the sugar for your recipe. How much sugar you were using for your 1 gallon container? I was using 2 2L bottles and ending up using one 5lb bag of sugar in 1 week (making new yeast solution for the 2 bottles because my bubble rate was dropping). That's roughly about $10 to $12 of sugar I need to buy for each month. That's roughly how much a CO2 refill would cost on a 5lb CO2 tank. A 5lb CO2 tank would last you 4 to 5 months though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode