shaking my canister filter??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
shaking my canister filter???

Ok guys so here my next question / issue ... well hopefully it is not an issue.

So until I start to diffuse my CO2 in a reactor or something else, I am currently running it directly into the intake feed of my co2 Fluval canister filter. I have heard talk about airlock ... don't know what it exactly is, but today i decided to gently shake the canister filter to see if there was any locked co2 that was not coming out. i shook my canister and a some air bubble did come out.. not a lot.. but a noticeable amount.

Since i have never shook my filter before. i dont know if this is normal?
Were the bubbles co2? if not, is it bad that air is in my filter? how did it get there?

thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That is normal, Fluvals do not like a lot of air in them before they stop moving water.

The air is from when you open the canister up to clean and change media.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
how many bps are u putting into it? normally they will get snagged on the filters an build up then get sucked into the prepeller and chopped up not the best thing but as long as your not running it dry it shouldnt be a problem i would say get a inline or build a reactor so u dont wear the pump out but they do last forever if properly taken care of!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Mine does that after I open it up, i dont diffuse co2 in it so its the only time it happens. Every time I close it back I shake it a bit to get all the air out, as long u keep diffusing co2 in it this will keep happening whether or not it will airlock I guess depends on the brand.

SunSun Pimp #57

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
airlock ... can someone tell me what the danger with this is????
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If it is a sufficiently large air bubble and you do not catch if for a while you could burn out the filter motor.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I wouldn't feed my co2 or air into the canister. Ive got canisters and I place my co2 diffuser at the bottom of the tanks under the flow output pushing (and pulling) across the tank. Airlocks are good only in submarines and space ships. :-)

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses, had it coming." -John Steinbeck

"Everyone's got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Airlock is unlikely to happen, but basically will overheat the pump as it relies on the water flowing through it to keep it cool. Most canisters will burp up some air if you shake them after they have been running for some time regardless of whether you are injecting CO2 or not. If you're getting "burps" without touching the canister, then it may be worth showing some concern. (If this is happening without injection, there may be a leak on the suction side.)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode