Loach lunatic...... can you have too many??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Loach lunatic...... can you have too many???

^^That is a rhetorical question.... I know you can have too many lol.

But anyway, I have 4 different specie of loach in my 45g tank (only 1 of each).

I thought I had two yo-yo loaches, but one of them is growing more slender and with a very different color pattern. I cannot get a pic since they are so fast and my camera sucks the big one.

Another loach is a lone B. dario I found locally, which is definitely the king of the lot.......... and the fourth one is what I believe to be Schistura mahnerti that the LFS owner had never seen before, it was in a shipment of other supposed Burmese-origin loaches.

They all four play frantically throughout the day. Nobody gets nipped fins, but they do get rough. They've all been in here for several months, also. No losses, these are the only 4 I've bought.

I know some loaches like B. hymenophysa are a no-no with mixed loach communities, but what other loaches have you all mixed up with good success?

I'm thinking about getting a B. morleti (skunk) but I've had them get really aggressive.

The tank is the 45g in my sig. I tend to overcrowd my tanks but I normally only crowd in hyperactive fish that don't mind other hyper fish lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yes you can have too many. They need a bit more space than most fish. I'd recommend a 75G+ tank for them.

Yes, skunks should be with other aggressive fishes. Check out loaches.com for all info. Their forum is helpful as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
Not only that, but loaches are very social and really do well in groups in a lot of cases

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Yes you can have too many. They need a bit more space than most fish. I'd recommend a 75G+ tank for them.

Yes, skunks should be with other aggressive fishes. Check out loaches.com for all info. Their forum is helpful as well.
doesn't depend on the species of loach you are referring to?

For instance a group of zebra loaches IMO doesn't need a 75 gal plus tank, but a group of clown loaches definitely will.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
yeah, actually 2 yoyos would be fine in a 46G but they do best in a social group of 5+. That works best in a 75G+ tank.

I had 5 little botias, B. histrionica in a 75G and I thought that was tight for them. One died from a suicide jump, and the other from a excel overdose.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I had a weather loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus ) that got to about 8". He lived in a unheated 55 with my Orandas. I really enjoyed having him. he was a spot on weatherman too. If was more accurate the the local T.V weatherman more than once.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode