Newb after some help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Jez
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newb after some help

Hey all, first post on here. Was looking for a 'newbie' section but as there doesn't appear to be one I figure i'll jump right in and post here.

I am currently looking for advice on converting my current reef tank to a planted tank.
Couple things I am stuck on are lighting and the use of Co2.

So tank size is 60x36x18 with an external coast to coast weir and a 'bean animal' overflow setup down to a 48x12x18 sump. Lighting wise I am looking at using T5s, possibly 2 banks of 4 tubes.
Generally will it be enough?

Also with the use of Co2, what is the consensus on overflow and sump setup to minimise degassing?

Cheers for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Welcome,
The biggest change over from reef has to be the light. You don't need the much light. You probably want 2-3 bulbs, maybe 4.
Check out this thread for light recommendations https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

Or if you have a PAR meter laying around, you can use that to measure your light intensity

I think some here do use a sump but they seal up the sump so CO2 doesn't escape. Most of us skip the sump part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Jez
Algae Grower

Cheers for the reply mistergreen,
have been doing a fair bit of reading in the last day or so, specifically on the use of sumps on planted tanks.
So far I have gleaned that the biggest concern seems to be around the water agitation from the water travelling down the pipes into the sump and that a syphon is the least likely to facilitate the degassing problem.
Armed with this information I am fairly confident that the degassing issue will not as big a thing as i thought originally, overflow operates on a full syphon setup with the 5% that the syphon cant handle being looked after with a durso. Basically it means I have a silent overflow and very little surface agitation in the sump.

Anyone else got any input to potential problems with sump use??

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Check out this link:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-use-sump.html

There is some good info here about using a sump and some tips/suggestions on modifying them for use on a planted tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Jez
Algae Grower

Thanks for the link, was a good read. Like anything in aquariums then, some people swear by them and others would rather deal with poison than use one.

Will continue to read all the information I find and make a decision on setup eventually. Got 3 and 1/2 weeks to get organised and operational as I am adopting a mates native fish when he moves house.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode