How much fish water have you swallowed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much fish water have you swallowed?

Like it says...
I'm usually pretty careful. Changing water on my 32, I don't use a python because its only a bucket out, and a bucket in. Sucked in a pretty good mouthful, hit the back of my throat and was down before I knew it (keep it clean boys!) Aside from a day or so of the runs, anybody ever have longer term issues from chugging fish juice?
..and just to help minimize the risk, I think I better kill the little microbial buggers with alcohol... Crown dark, to be precise.

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When you use your python, you don't have to suck on it to get the water out, just put the whole hose under water and get the air out of the hose and put your finger on the end and bring it to your bucket, take your finger of the end and, voila water start flowing in your bucket!!

BTW I think planted fish tank water is probably cleaner than drinking water although I think mine is, actually my tank water tastes better than tap water Also, my cat loves to drink from my tank and drinks it every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 AM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Never had that happen so I can't tell what the affects would be.

I have cats so I have saved some of those big tidy cats buckets that way I don't have to stop the syphon.

Thanks for posting as you made me get a good laugh. I'm sure others will have a ball with this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I wish the hose I had was more flexible. Not a lot of free space in the tank to use that method. Difference this time is I used a white hose, because I couldn't find my clear one with the gravel vac. Not being able to see the water that was trapped in it literally sucked.

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I swollowed some today, bleh.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Haha, you guys are funny. Looks like growing up irrigating with tubes came in handy.

You don't need the entire hose full of water, enough for a foot or so out of the tank is usually enough. You can also trying covering the end lightly and pumping (maybe not recommended with carpet plants as it could possibly dislodge them).
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Enough to keep sufficiently hydrated most days, so that I don't get leg cramps in bed at night.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey, keep the discussion clean here! ; ) I was myself thinking that planted tank water is likely healthier than my tap water, until I started to read about Myobacterium marinum, aka Fish Tuberculosis. So it seems that swallowing tank water or getting it into cuts can actually be a real and significant risk to you, and we'd usually have no idea whether or not it is present in our tanks even. Not that I'm nearly as careful as what is recommended though.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-0...ture/index.php
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
When you use your python, you don't have to suck on it to get the water out, just put the whole hose under water and get the air out of the hose and put your finger on the end and bring it to your bucket, take your finger of the end and, voila water start flowing in your bucket!!

BTW I think planted fish tank water is probably cleaner than drinking water although I think mine is, actually my tank water tastes better than tap water Also, my cat loves to drink from my tank and drinks it every day.
Perhaps you are confused about what a Python is, because it hooks up to a faucet and the faucet starts the suction. It also typically drains into the sink not into a bucket.

Why would tank water be cleaner than drinking water? It's going to have waste in it! And while I too have gotten mouthfuls of it when using a manual gravel vac I sure don't recommend anyone or anything other than plants drinking it on purpose. If your tank water tastes better than your tap water then you need to move!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was cleaning my canister hoses a few months ago with a long wire brush. After cleaning it, I had to get the siphon going again. I somehow forgot that the hose still contained a lot of lose black crud, and how fast the water would come out. So when I went to suck on the hose to star the siphon, I had a mouth full of foul, black, algae water.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:27 PM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
luckily ive never had this issue, sounds gross. I would be mostly worried about getting worms this way lol.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a gulp once. The water level was too low and I cant make the siphon to work. So i sucked on it. Then water came too fast and hit the back of my throat.. and gulp.

At that time, I had planaria infestation as well. I freaked out like hell. Especialy a week later I had some sort of rear nose flu.. that won't go away with flu meds. Doc checked up on me and says I have some kind of allergic reaction.. he gave me some allergic sprays. I freaked out more, and start gargling and snorting salt water.

I hope those planarias have not make a nest inside my throat.

|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncityz View Post
I had a gulp once. The water level was too low and I cant make the siphon to work. So i sucked on it. Then water came too fast and hit the back of my throat.. and gulp.

At that time, I had planaria infestation as well. I freaked out like hell. Especialy a week later I had some sort of rear nose flu.. that won't go away with flu meds. Doc checked up on me and says I have some kind of allergic reaction.. he gave me some allergic sprays. I freaked out more, and start gargling and snorting salt water.

I hope those planarias have not make a nest inside my throat.
OMG!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Try doing it with saltwater....... talk about gross.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode