Novice needing some advice on several things! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Novice needing some advice on several things!

Hey guys, I have a pretty basic tank set up. I currently do not provide any 'special' treatment for the plants in my tank. In the past, i found cabomba seems to be really easy to keep, as it doesn't seem to die easily, and the fish don't eat it! So in this tank, I brought some more cabomba, and once again, it seems to be doing well and grown quite a bit. Here is a photo.
http://imageshack.us/f/269/snb23280.jpg/

1) Firstly, i would like some advice on trimming the plant. Can I cut this to any height i desire, and simply group and replant the cuts I have made? Both bunches of Cabomba seem to have roots coming out of them, midway up the plant. Is it best if I cut below these roots?

2) Can somebody Identify this plant?
http://imageshack.us/f/221/snb23292.jpg/

3) This plant that I have that needs identifying seems to have grown new stems and leaves, which appears to be doing well (its about 2 months old). However, some of the stems have died, and the area where they are bunched has turned brown and looks very fragile and no doubt will break away if i move/touch it. So whilst it seems like it is decaying, it also seems like it is doing well, so am unsure what to do with it!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/snb23274.jpg/

and here is a photo that contains the unhealthy parts aswell as the new and healthy parts
http://imageshack.us/f/16/snb23286.jpg/

Can I simply cut away the dead bits, and replant the healthy bits? The plant has doubled in growth since I brought it around 3 months ago.

4) Can anyone recommend any other hardy plants that don't need any special treatment? I find that plants like Valis just die within a month or 2! Where as Cabomba seems to thrive.

5) I also love the tiny kind of plants that just above the substrate. Or an area of grass or similar plant. However, with plants like these, how does one go about using a gravel cleaner? I use a gravel cleaner to clean my tank, yet some tanks I see baffle me, as I dont see how the gravel can be cleaned out without disturbing all the tiny, fragile plants.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
1. Since Cabomba is a stem plant you should be able to cut it to any height you like and then replant it.
2. That plant looks like water wisteria.
4. java fern, anubius, java moss, and amazon swords are all hardy plants.
5. In a planted tank you don't usually clean the gravel since it has all the nutrients in it and by cleaning it you would be removing plant food. Some good foreground plants are glosso, HC, and dwarf hairgrass. These will need good conditions to thrive and look good though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
The plant ID is indeed water wisteria (hygro difformis). This can be planted or grown just floating in the water. You can cut, tear, or break away any part of this plant and, given that it is at least a few inches, it will continue growing as another plant.

All you carpeting plants will require good lighting and CO2 addition if you want really good growth. Lack of adequate lighting will result in the plant growing taller and withering away. I believe you can grow some without CO2, but growth is very slow. Also, using the high light required for optimal development is not really a good idea unless you are using CO2, as algae can be a problem without it.

What do you have around the base of the wisteria? Is that just the picture or is it bound with something?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
you can bunch the Cabomba, but I have phone for best results they need to be spaced far enough apart that the leaves on the bottom can still receive light otherwise the bottom part of the plant will die off.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." JFK 1962
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably stay away from the carpeting plants for the time being then. Is there anything else I can use to sit on the substrate instead? Or will i just need to get a few more rocks?

Around the bunch water wisteria is a strip of wool, and then a Lead Strip around that to hold them in place. It's how it came from the shop. Is that a bad idea?

I think I may try spacing out the plants then, to allow some light to get to the bottoms of them!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Although I've never tried it myself, I've seen people get some flat rocks and tie moss to them (like flame moss or java moss). Then, they arrange the rocks so there is little space between them. The rocks serve to anchor the moss and the moss covered rocks give the effect of a nice lawn, while still being movable and not requiring as much light/CO2 as most carpet plants. Like I said earlier, I've never tried this but have seen some pretty neat pictures of others who have done this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Validis View Post

Around the bunch water wisteria is a strip of wool, and then a Lead Strip around that to hold them in place. It's how it came from the shop. Is that a bad idea?
Is that the same plant that is browning towards to bottom? Wasn't sure from the pic.
I would get rid of the rock wool. IME it only limits root growth. For stem plants like that you might also want to try some type of root tabs. They should perk up your plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Get rid of the lead weight. That might be why the stems are turning brown.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
holy crap that wisteria looks totally different from mine....... mind = blown

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Validis View Post
Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably stay away from the carpeting plants for the time being then. Is there anything else I can use to sit on the substrate instead? Or will i just need to get a few more rocks?

I think I may try spacing out the plants then, to allow some light to get to the bottoms of them!
Yea that is only there for transport and selling, keeps the bunches intact. Definitely take that stuff off...Certainly the reason why these plant stems are dying. Just trim off all the dead parts and plant the stems that are healthy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode