Hagen ladder system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hagen ladder system

I just setup one of these about two hours ago and now I'm seeing some of the mix entering the tube. I know this is not normal, what might I have done wrong? I heard that if you have hard water you might want to skip the baking soda but I went ahead and put it in just in case. I am using the recipe anonapersona posted a while back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank VIP

How far up did you fill the water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Might want to add an extra bottle in between the yeast bottle and the tank to catch mix entering the tube.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan
I just setup one of these about two hours ago and now I'm seeing some of the mix entering the tube. I know this is not normal, what might I have done wrong? I heard that if you have hard water you might want to skip the baking soda but I went ahead and put it in just in case. I am using the recipe anonapersona posted a while back.
I set mine below the tank with a check valve to prevent water from flowing into the bottle. Also, I'd recommend positioning the ladder so that one side of the incline is actually level with the tank. That way, it helps prevent the bubbles from simply climbing right up the ladder and out into the atmosphere.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also have a needle valve right near the bottle to help control the CO2 flow rate.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

DOOOHH, thats a great idea, I never thought of that. I did notice once before that after the yeast built up on the ladder the bubbles move much slower and dissolve to tiny tiny bubbles. I get the same co2 with a lower bubble count that way

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

I filled the water right to the spot the directions said to. I'll try that suggestion k_the_c. I have another question. Before I noticed the liquid rising in the tube the Co2 output was great! I was getting at least 1 bubble a second. When i went to clean out the tube I unscrewed the cap and took a look inside. Now that i have it all hooked up again the output is dismal. What happened?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

It has to re-pressurize. It can take awhile. This also happens to me when I shake my mixtures.

Filstar pimp #53

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Allright I'll give it till morning to get back up to speed.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
It has to re-pressurize. It can take awhile. This also happens to me when I shake my mixtures.
I shook up mine initially, and it took about a week before I saw any CO2.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_the_c
Edit: Forgot to mention that I also have a needle valve right near the bottle to help control the CO2 flow rate.
How do you have the valve rigged - is it venting excess gas to the atmosphere, or is it restricting the flow out of the bottle (like a needle valve does in a pressurized CO2 system)?

If the latter you risk blowing up your generator bottle. Any home brewer from the days before pressure kegs will probably have a story of exploding bottles. Plastic shrapnel isn't as scarey as glass, but trying to clean the remnants of a beer geyser off the wallpaper is a crummy way to spend an afternoon.

At least yeast, sugar, and water mixes don't stain the way a Guinness type recipe does.

Tropical Swamp Modeler
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai_Swamp
How do you have the valve rigged - is it venting excess gas to the atmosphere, or is it restricting the flow out of the bottle (like a needle valve does in a pressurized CO2 system)?

If the latter you risk blowing up your generator bottle. Any home brewer from the days before pressure kegs will probably have a story of exploding bottles. Plastic shrapnel isn't as scarey as glass, but trying to clean the remnants of a beer geyser off the wallpaper is a crummy way to spend an afternoon.

At least yeast, sugar, and water mixes don't stain the way a Guinness type recipe does.
The Hagen bottle is pretty heavy duty, which is the main reason I spent money on it instead of building my own out of a soda bottle. The only thing the needle valve really does is slow down the number of bubbles so that there's not a steady stream going in and right out of my 10G.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

I was thinking of using a Danzka Vodka bottle(from my collection of course,hehe). It says it is a 100cl bottle, does anyone know what how to convert cl. It's made of metal and has a very thick cap to it. I know they come in bigger sizes than this.

Filstar pimp #53

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

100 cl (centiliters) = 1 liter

**** Eheim Pimp Club member #13****
75 gallon, Eheim 2026, AquaMedic 2x150W 6500K MH, CO2, medium planted angelfish tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode