Snail Leech... Ewww! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snail Leech... Ewww!

I am currently setting up a 55 gallon low tech aquarium and received my second shipment of plants the other day. They came late at night so, being tired, I simply threw them in the tank and they are currently floating around in there. I went to clean/plant the tank today and noticed something clinging onto the glass. I did some research and think that I have a Snail Leech. From my research it seems that they are scavengers and will eat fish/snail eggs. Are they harmful in any other way? Even if they are not harmful, they are pretty gross looking and I would appreciate any input on how to get rid of them. The tank currently has NO fish in it, only plants.

Thank You- Wizzy
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Look in the "Shrimp & other invertabrates" section at the "sticky" near the top of the page, I'm fairly sure that ugly little guy is in there.

BTW, welcome to the forum & is there a story behind that name "Wizzy"????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Hey welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your "stay."

I doubt that that thing will cause any real harm. Once you put a fish (if you are) in there it'll be gone in no time at all.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

150EH- Thanks for the info and the welcome! And as for my name, well one day I needed a username and BAM! it stuck. I've used it ever since.

RipariumGuy- Thanks for the welcome! And I sure do hope your right.

I am currently trying to find some sort of medicine that will not harm my plants but if that doesn't work I'll probably just hope they get eaten by my fish. I am going to be putting 3 large black ghost knifes in the tank and they are predatory fish so I'm crossing my fingers.

Cool Beans- Wizzy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
Wow! Lucky you! I wish I had some of those to eat my snails. My red claw shrimp suddenly decided that they're too good for snails so the population is increasing.

I don't see how they could be a problem if they scavenged and ate snails. It's not like most planted tankers intentionally want to raise huge spawns of fish in their main tanks.

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
Wow! Lucky you! I wish I had some of those to eat my snails. My red claw shrimp suddenly decided that they're too good for snails so the population is increasing.

I don't see how they could be a problem if they scavenged and ate snails. It's not like most planted tankers intentionally want to raise huge spawns of fish in their main tanks.
Lol. I haven't actually confirmed if they eat snails or not, but I hope you're right in saying that they'll be beneficial. My main concern is that they may attach to my fish. If anyone else has any insight/advice on how to deal with these leeches please let me know.

Thanks- Wizzy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
take some teezers and pull it out.. u probably have more than one.. but if udon't u might get lucky

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
take some teezers and pull it out.. u probably have more than one.. but if udon't u might get lucky
I did exactly that! I pulled out a few, but I know for a fact that I still have more because I saw one swimming the other day. However, I don't see them that often if at all so I think I got lucky.

Thanks- Wizzy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up How to get rid of snail leeches!!!

To kill snail leeches do this:
To test for snail leeches is simple ľ teaspoon shrimp pellets will bring them out
First remove all plants.
Dip plant in a 50% hydrogen peroxide solution to dislodge pests by flushing with water
Save your plants in a bucket for 4 weeks
Remove all creatures which will die from salt being added, Rams horn, Pond snails
Snail leeches survive Clorox and all other solutions. I know I tried all suggested chemicals
Bring the salt level part- per-Thousand to 3 ppt with softener salt for 1 week
Lower it to 2 ppts for 2 weeks
The last week, do the above test.
If no leeches then change out with freshwater during this last week to 0 ppt salt.
How this works is the apparently the leeches ball up in a protective cocoon and starve to death.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode