Which plants for hard water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which plants for hard water?

Hi

I'm about to set up a tropical tank 5'x2'x18". My water is hard 11°dH (78mg/L Calcium or 196,g/l Calcium carbonate).

So far I have found that vallis & hornwort grow well and have read that Water Star Grass (Heteranthera dubia) does well. Are there any more?

Also which substrate should I use?

Thanks

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hard Water Plants

Good morning Stan...

I don't worry about the hardness and pH in my tank water. They aren't that important. Plants prefer more acidic water, but will adapt to your water conditions. Lighting is a lot more important.

If you have 1 to 2 watts of light per gallon of tank size, and regularly add fertilizer, then you can grow most aquatic plants.

I use pea gravel substrate and plant my plants in pots with some organic potting mixture, but there are many other gravel types on the market. Do a little research online or ask this specific question on this forum.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
most plants prefer 4-12 dh but.. will THRIVE in 2-20 dh no problem.. just an example.. hardness and ph play little factor.. c02, light, fertilizer controls mostly everything. THERE are a FEW exceptions that will grow in a wide range of conditions but will not look great until they are in for example very soft water with extreme c02 and light situations.. sooooo pick the ones u like and go with it

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I hear rocks like hard water
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
I hear rocks like hard water
When I lived at my mums which is a soft water area I could grow plants very easily and I didn't use any fertilizer or CO2. I had huge amazon swords, in my 5x2x2 I remember one that was touching the front & back of the tank and nearly to the top. Later i kept cryptocorne and it formed a carpet ovedr most of the tank, another time I had java fern which also took over the tank. Over here the only things that actually grow are vallis, hornwort, duckweed and some other plant I cant remember the name of, apongeton or something but anything else I've put in just doesnt grow at all and withers away. I have since switched to using 2 parts RO to 1 part tap water and can grow stuff, I have to sell or throw away my floating plant quite regularly, I took some to the local fish shop a couple of miles away and when he put it in his tanks it turns brown and dies.
I'm just looking for other plants which are adapted to hard water like the vallis & hornwort.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
As long as you aren't trying to keep Toninas/Eriocaulons/certain Ludwigias/other softwater only plants you will be fine.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've found out another plant that prefers hard water
mexican oak leaf - Shinnersia rivularis. Its said to grow very fast too.

Tags
hard water, plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode