craigslist score! (I think?) lol - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question craigslist score! (I think?) lol

I think it's a good deal, I hope you do too.
I called a guy about a 55 he had - said it was a wood stand, the lids, etc, for $75 - glass was perfect & no leaks. I swooped on it. Went out & picked it up today. I think it just needs a little elbow grease - he had 4 other 55s & a 90 set up in the house. They were all saltwater tanks. This must have been too, it has a few dried up things on the glass that look like limpets. He said he & his wife had a few more in the basement if I wanted to look at them. I'm so trusting - lol - it just dawned on me he could have been a wacko serial killer, feediing his victims to the saltwater fish - lol. Well, my two best friends (husband & wife) were with me, and the husband is 6' 3'.
Any how, this stand is useless to me. He did have two other 55s, no stands or lids, for $40 a piece. I'm getting one and my friend is getting the other. She said if I didn't want this stand she'd take it. My worry is that it is very unsafe, I think. It wobbles lengthwise, (shear) and the hubby says a few cross beams will fix that. But look how it's made? What the tank rests on is nailed together - I don't see any real support! Sure there's a bolt running through it, but the tank doesn't rest on the legs, only the crossbars. The seller had two 55's stacked on an exact same stand - one on the bottom braces you see here.
would you give it away? Or pretend it "broke". Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but my friends aren't the diy types (not very successfully, anyhow).
What do you think?
PS - I'm in the process of redoing my subfloors - it won't look like that forever ; )
~ Cin ~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002-1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	34234  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	34235  

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Those are bolts, not nails, are they not?

Not that I would trust it since it uses just single bolts on each spot. However, the notched design is better than a lot of them out there.

A diagonal cross member on the back would help sheer, and you could add a few screws through each joint. A billion people will walk into this thread now and say that there is no way to make it work and it is the worst stand ever.... but 90% of them use stands from commercial manufacturers that are less engineered.

A sheet of plywood on the back would be even better than diagonals.

It is such a cheaply made stand that it would be cheap enough to just make a new one "properly". Personally, an old used 55 for 40 dollars isn't much of a deal to me. You can buy them new for 55 twice a year at petco.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
that looks like an old stand.
have 2 of your friends sit on it and bump into it a few times to c if it goes anywhere.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
If the tanks is real dirty, you may want to consider just buying a new one when Petco has another $1/gallon sale. Of course that may be a while.

Judging by the condition, it looked to be in use for a while for him so I don't see why it wouldn't hold up. You can just re-inforce it easily with some more wood.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
a dollar a gallon sale going on now-well it was last week
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Those are bolts, not nails, are they not?

Not that I would trust it since it uses just single bolts on each spot. However, the notched design is better than a lot of them out there.
The bolts are going thru the legs into the side cross beam. The long front beams appear to be nail to the side cross beam with 4 finishing nails. So the majority of the tank rests on front and back beams, which are relying on four nails each. At least that what I see in the photo.

Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you want to level the stand just scribe it take something a 1/2 thick lay it on the floor next to each leg and draw a line --do it on all four legs and cut em the stand will be leval then
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, I'm not going to keep this stand - I can make a much better one. But giving it to my friends? Maybe I should just make them one, too - lol. My friend's way too impatient - she wouldn't wait.
As for petco, it's nearly a 3 hour round trip for me to get to one. That's without stopping for lunch, etc. Not worth it to me. I don't want to wait, either - lol. This tank is just dusty with some gravel left over. I haven't had a close look at the others though. The 55's at Petsmart were about $145.00 so if the other tank isn't scratched I'll get it. BTW, for some reason my local Petsmart hasn't had a 55 available in a long time. They do carry a Marineland set with HOB filter & hood/led lights for $215.00 or so. I don't even see a spot on the shelves for a plain-Jane 55 anymore...

And RickRS has it right - the weight rests on 4 nails.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Those bolts in the corners (carriage bolts) would hold THOUSANDS of pounds in load. The mushroom shaped bolt head looks rusted meaning the bolts are likely carbon steel either 5/16, or 3/8 and probably grade #8.

You would rip the bolt through the wood before breaking the bolt would be my guess. That stand was designed to be as cheap to make as possible. The lower section MUST have a tank in it as built to stabilize the top eliminating the shift or side load sway referred to in the comments. 55g tanks like the one in the picture made using plastic frames would not fail if the four corners are in contact sitting on the stand.

If it is to be top loaded only (placing a tank on top only) add plywood to the sides and back along with a base of shelving material on the bottom. Even simple/cheap pre-finished paneling. Apply glue when adding the skins and that stand won't be a threat to anyone adding only a couple hrs. hobby hands and < $30.00. Skin the inside of the ends, add a base and backing making an open cabinet and I would use it.

Would make a safe, low cost stand for your friend if modified slightly (imo)
haha I build most all my stuff, while not pretty in the pic the stand is usable.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Not a score, you failed.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, I'll try again - I have no use for the stand - but I will take the advice on how to strengthen it for my friends - I'll print these ideas out for them. Thx wkndracer!

xmas_one, the price I paid was 1/2 of what I would pay for a new 55 tank by itself in this area, so I still think it was a score for me...
as an example, the lowest price I have found on 55s with "nice" Petsmart type stands has been $150, and I've been looking for 3 months...I planned all along to build my stands for two side-by-side tanks that need to be level with each other. Thanks for your upbeat response, tho ; )

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
We're all good, I'm down with the dirty too. Ya gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, I got your back...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Your welcome
Hoped as always the suggestion posted would help.
Bargains are always relative to ones situation.
Someone told me once you can get fast, you can go cheap, or you can get what's the best.
fast, good, cheap but rarely more than one in the same transaction LOL

If the lids and tank clean up well without the glass being all scratched up along with saving you a wasted day traveling as the only alternative I'd call that a score.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

lol - thanks ; )
I'll be looking over the $40 tank with a fine tooth comb. I don't really need another 55...
and now I'll never get that Kenny Rogers tune out of my head.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So far it's cleaning up good, and I peeked into the box he gave me and it has versa glass tops plus the tops/lights that came with it originally. My friends might be able to use them, they don't use live plants. There's also a HOB Whisper filter, but I get those free, and a Whisper air pump, and who knows what else. I can get Tetra/Whisper stuff free, so I might give those to my friends, too. They're retired & on a limited income (aren't we all these days).

Oh, and I know you can get fast & cheap at the same time, I work for Walmart - lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode