Carpet plant advise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Carpet plant advise

Ok, so i have a 55g with EI, prssurised co2 and 2x 54w T5HO. This produces high light at the top and med/low light at the substrate.
I have tried HC and glosso which both failed.
I currently have amazon micro sword in which looks to be failing after 2 weeks, i will give it another two to see if it is just settling in....

If this fails i was looking at dwarf sag but am concerned at the height it grows..up to 6"
Is 6" normal or is the average more like 3-4"??
Any other suggestions that i could try???

Thanks

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

900x750x450 optiwhite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Pygmy chain swords (Echinodorus tenellus / Helanthium tenellum), there are two varieties to choose from. One is green, very similar to dwarf sag in appearence, the other 'micro' variety is half the size with very slender, dark green blades with red highlights in good conditions. Both will be fine with your light. I would try putting some root tabs in your substrate, because I can't believe you're managing to kill Lilaeopsis.

Marsilea is another option if you want the glosso look rather than grass.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sag and pygmy chain will be around 3-4" in high light areas and taller in the shade. I've actually had chain grow to 12" when stretched out, it was in between vals, using them as support and starving for light. Plants can be funny like that.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great, thanks for these, when i started again with Lilaeopsis i heavily used rootmedic tabs in eco complete. There doesnt appear to be any real growth or roots and the leaves are 'dirty' looking so im fairly conviced it will fail. Unless you know if it tends to have a settling in phase??

Marsilea might be worth a go... thanks again

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
glosso didnt take? is that even possible? how long are you waiting before ruling it a failure

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Lilaeopsis can take it's time to start producing runners, more or less depending on the situation. In the meantime the original blades can suffer from BBA and fuzz algae. Seems like it's harder with a smaller portion, I had the best success starting with a lot of it, and planting 1" clumps in a checkerboard pattern. I have not tried to grow a carpet of it outside of full on high tech parameters, but I've always had stray runners reaching around my low tech tanks where it was totally ignored. If there really is a problem with it beyond normal acclimating, I would look at possible light issues, either too much or not enough.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Should clarify, by too much I mean not enough CO2. I def don't suspect not enough unless its in the shade maybe. If your drop checker is green then maybe it's just taking it's time. I've used 2 and even 1 x 39w T5HO on a 65gl and didn't have trouble growing pygmy chains with no CO2, there was even Lilaeopsis sneaking around.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Are you fertilizing the water in the tank? Is CO2 high throughout the tank? You have loads of light unless plants are shading the part where you want the carpet to go.

Marsilea and Staurogyne are a couple you haven't tried yet. And hairgrass.

My plants generally completely lose it and grow new stuff before looking right in the tank. I feel much better if the old stuff goes slowly as the new stuff grows in but my plants never look good until only leaves/stems/roots that have developed in MY tank are present.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
What type of substrate are you using?

SunSun Pimp #57

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was going to say...2xT5HO bulbs should produce high light all the way down to the substrate on a 21" tall tank, shouldn't it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode