Proposal for a new sticky! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Exclamation Proposal for a new sticky!

So, while I understand the value of using acronyms for many of the common things discussed on this forum, there seem to be some that are rarely, or never, explained. I think this is a problem.

Here's a sample conversation:
Forum User 1: Hey, look at my new CPO's!
Forum User 2: Wow, those are awesome. How do you think they'd do with my RCS? CRS? Would they attack CPD's?
Forum User 1: I think they'd do fine. Just make sure you don't use a UGF. HMF would be good. Forum User 2, didn't you just get some CBS? Sick awesome.
Forum User 2: Yeah I did, and I got some SAE's as well.
Forum User 1: Cool, those will look great in your UG carpet. Or was it HC? I can't remember, and half the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. lol hahaha.

Alright, so you can see how some conversations on here go. The problem is there isn't any one place to figure out what all of it means. To rectify the situation, I propose we start a thread/sticky, and users on here can post what different acronyms mean, so that all users, seasoned or noobs, can benefit from a discussion in which everyone knows, or can easily figure out, what is being discussed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 07:27 PM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Well that sure would take the fun(?) out of trying to figure it all out for yourself! :P
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'm pretty sure there IS a sticky for all of the terms.
And besides, I enjoyed learning all of the acronyms the hard way...
I remember the first time I saw LOL, and I thought it meant lots of love... Then there was roflmao...
Now its things like TDS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sticky right here
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ks-search.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
haha! take the fun out of everything, lol..... MTS- multi tank syndrome? malaysian trumpet snails? mineralized top soil????

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
i would go against it, soon well look like reefcentral with 10 sticky's in each section.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Well that is what I'm looking for, but maybe that should be on the first page of the general forum, rather than inside a forum, which is inside another forum. I'm really just trying to look out for first time visitors to the site who may not really know how to navigate. Is there a way to have a sticky for one thread show up in multiple forums i.e. not only in the faq's but also in the general forum? Anyways, thanks for looking out people.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
i would go against it, soon well look like reefcentral with 10 sticky's in each section.
While I agree that having the first 10 lines of contents for a forum full of stickies sucks, I think it's better than having the same question asked in 90% of the posts because people can't or won't look for it using the "search" function. And if they did, they probably would have a hard time finding it anyways. I've done lots of "searching" with not very great results.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
*looks at sig*

honest mistake was honest

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm68 View Post
While I agree that having the first 10 lines of contents for a forum full of stickies sucks, I think it's better than having the same question asked in 90% of the posts because people can't or won't look for it using the "search" function. And if they did, they probably would have a hard time finding it anyways. I've done lots of "searching" with not very great results.
It wouldn't matter if there were 10 stickies. People like to post questions and have ppl answer in their posts. It all boils down to human psychology. It feels good to be recognized by our peers.

Tags
abbreviations, acronyms, forum improvement, sticky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode