What's your most unusual pet store story? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What's your most unusual pet store story?

I was recently at my local chain mega pet store (I will not mention the name)...A customer walked up to one of the associates and pointed to a fish, they then asked how many of these fish can I put in my tank at once? The associate asked what size tank they had? Ten gallon tank replied the customer. Soooo after a brief pause they said it would be ok to get two of these fish today and wait at least two more weeks then they can come back and get two more "But make sure you do not exceed ten of these fish" As you know, I have not given you the name of the fish yet!!! Are you ready? Well let's put it this way, that is going to be one tightly stocked tank if they decide to purchase all ten of those OSCARS!!!!!! What's your story?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
something similar

went to my LPS to buy dog food and was looking thru the fish section as always

random weirdo starts an unwanted conversation with me while he waits for the associate to finish feeding the adopted kittens rambling about how excited he is to be back into fish after so many years and how his 10 gallon is a death trap and he cant figure out why when the assoc. walks up...I wasnt really eavesdropping, but since the store is small enough, I could hear their conversation

...he was there to replace 2 goldfish he had that died off in his 10gal tank...the associate asked him the usual...

associ: how big is your tank?
guy: 10gal
assoc: ...how many fish do you have?
guy: last count 40 some

she stopped and was like 40?!...40 what?
guy: goldfish, minnows, guppies, zebrafish, neons and green tiger barbs...at first I had a problem with fish jumping out when I wasnt around...so I bought a lid last week and that stopped that, today I saw my goldfish stuck to my filter
assoc: how long has your tank been running?
guy: 2 wks
assoc:**pause** you have waaaay too many fish for that tank...and you havent cycled your tank yet, so your fish will probably get really sick and not make it

...so then the guy makes a big scene about how can someone refuse to sell him goods if he has the money and she should just do her job yada yada yada...so the girl jus kinda walks off

the owner comes over, apologizes, and sells him the fish

...so I walked out, and refuse to go back and go to the big box stores instead now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Hey, that was me!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
How about a store owner story having nothing to do with the store. lol
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sukhoi
I was at a LFS store with my sister looking at the fish selection. A family came in with about four kids within the age group of 8 to 13. The kids went straight to the fish tanks and started to yanked out fish. They was putting on the ground, in different tanks and even in their pockets. The whole time the mother was letting it happen right in front of her. The employees just stood there trapped in some high school gossip among themselves, not paying attention to their surroundings. My sister started to yelled at these kids and grabbed them from the tanks. She then said something to the employees about how can they let anyone do such a thing. The family left quickly before the employee could say anything to them. I'm pretty sure a lot of them got fired after that.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
WARNING: NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH OR EASILY OFFENDED (thanks fresh.salty!)

Me and my girlfriend were browsing the fish in a LFS. There were some guppies that interested her, so I checked out a few other tanks while she was picking out the best of the batch.

I come back and she's still there, standing in the middle of a large puddle of blood.

I'll be as delicate as I can. It was that time of the month for her, and I figure her necessary feminine arrangements had sprung a severe leak. I tip her off, she looks down, comes to the same conclusion, and rushes out to the car to fix things; while I go ask an employee to bring me some cleaning supplies, then stand in front of the mess to help block it from view of any other customers that might happen by.

But embarrassment soon turned to confusion, when she comes back much sooner than I expected. She'd checked and double-checked. There was no chance the blood had come from her!

We couldn't figure out what happened. Was it already there? But a large puddle of blood is the kind of thing you tend to notice right away. Especially since this store had tanks at floor level, drawing your attention downwards, and we'd both looked at the one just inches away.

The employee insisted on cleaning the mess, and we were so creeped out we left without the guppies. We've referred to that LFS as "Bucket of Blood" ever since.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You need to preface that post with a warning.

You win, no reason to keep this going anymore. lol
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
It was 1986 and I had a 55 gallon Pirahna tank with a undergravel filter with 2 powerheads and some great big industrial looking HOB filter with a big steel motor but in a upright position (I'm sure the salesman didn't have to work too hard to talk me into it) anyway I come home from work (10 pm) and my apartment door is open and my new wife is on the floor crying, my mind is racing that something horrible has happened, robbed, rape, I'm gonna kill someone, right!!!!

Turns out my wife let our Parakeet (Alcatraz) out of the cage as we often did and he landed on this motor and put his foot in and broke his leg. I know your thinking this isn't funny and this guy is a real jerk, but she had the bird laying in the sink and he was soaking wet, I thought he had fell in the tank afterwards but my wife had rinsed him off thinking they would be going to the vet to get his tiny leg repaired. Needless to say although we love Alcatraz very much he did not survive this night of torture and no vet could save him.

But some years later there was a Seinfeld episode where George hits a squirrell with his car and his girlfriend makes him take it to the vet where they are going to order the special tiny instuments needed for the squirrell to survive and it costs him $800 or something like that. But it always reminds me of that night my wife tried to drown our parakeet after he broke his leg on the filter motor and lost his only drop of blood in our kitchen sink before slipping into his final slumber as my wife was calling vet offices at 10 pm trying to get emegency surgery for our pet.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:36 AM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Guess this shouldn't surprise me but guess it makes me mad but went to the big chain store that sells everything and stopped at the fish dept and last week was just saying that I was surprised at how goot their tanks were and today I was looking at the bettas and there were at least 4 dead in their cups. Still haven't decided if I should call the store and complain or what. I'm not usually one to make a big stink over things.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i have had the same ball python for the past 18 or so years, i was a young kid, and when i first got him i kept him in a 55 with a home made lid with books holding it closed. well little did i know the snake was way stronger than my home made lid and broke out while i was sleeping. i woke up the next day to go to school with my mom screaming WAKE UP THE SNAKE IS NOT IN THE TANK!!!! when i got up i found snake skin on my pillow and all over the blanket where my chest would have bin. i found him about 10 mins later under a radiator in my bedroom. trying to get him out of there was the first time i got bit by a snake also. scary knowing a snake was crawling all over you when your sleeping. he's a prety large snake 2.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
Guess this shouldn't surprise me but guess it makes me mad but went to the big chain store that sells everything and stopped at the fish dept and last week was just saying that I was surprised at how goot their tanks were and today I was looking at the bettas and there were at least 4 dead in their cups. Still haven't decided if I should call the store and complain or what. I'm not usually one to make a big stink over things.
The chains will take the complaint seriously, but you need to send an email to their main customer service headquarters and give them details. I've done that before and they have replied to me and I actually saw changes in the stores (it was also bettas in my case) within the month.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
The chains will take the complaint seriously, but you need to send an email to their main customer service headquarters and give them details. I've done that before and they have replied to me and I actually saw changes in the stores (it was also bettas in my case) within the month.

it's true. Back when i was into hermit crabs, after all my research, I was appalled by the way they were kept at all the places around town. I called a few corporate headquarters and now when I go in, they have two dishes of water, a small pond with an air stone in it for humidity, and a lid over the tank to keep the humidity in, much better than they were before.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mine happened on Saturday.

We went downstairs in our LFS to the live stock section and heard some guy screaming at the owner wanting a refund on a 180 gallon tank he had just bought...

..and then decided to drill in an overflow..

.. and it is (well was) tempered.

|
|

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
i have had the same ball python for the past 18 or so years, i was a young kid, and when i first got him i kept him in a 55 with a home made lid with books holding it closed. well little did i know the snake was way stronger than my home made lid and broke out while i was sleeping. i woke up the next day to go to school with my mom screaming WAKE UP THE SNAKE IS NOT IN THE TANK!!!! when i got up i found snake skin on my pillow and all over the blanket where my chest would have bin. i found him about 10 mins later under a radiator in my bedroom. trying to get him out of there was the first time i got bit by a snake also. scary knowing a snake was crawling all over you when your sleeping. he's a prety large snake 2.
Super sad spin off... Did you hear that two parents just got convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 12 years because their burmese python got out of the cage two years ago and killed their 2 year old It was such a sad story. Now these parents who would never want anything to happen to their child are sentenced to 12 years in prison because they kept their python in.....are ya ready?....a fish tank with a homemade top. Really sad.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
Ewww! That just gave horrendous chills. I do not like snakes. Can barely look at them on tv. Sorry for the outburst.

" border="0" />

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode