end of tank dump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Arrow end of tank dump

Does anyone have any video or know of any videos that show what happens in a end of tank dump...just curious how fast and how much it actually dumps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SunSun Pimp #57

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
no video, but when i had an end of tank dump, the damn fish tank exploded from the surge of co2 and blew a small hole in the wall. g/f was pissed!

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's one of the things I would worry about...my diffuser turning into a rocket.

SunSun Pimp #57

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've seen a CO2 tank blow a safety valve before, in which case it hisses quite a bit and throws some "snow".

Otherwise, suffocated fish is probably all you're going to see.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A thread I created this morning on EOTD
I don't have videos of EOTD, because as some pondering and some fellow PT members helped me to realize, there is no such thing as a tank dump, its simply that the flow/pressure(haven't figured out what yet, I believe its flow, but everyone else is saying pressure)changes, and if your co2 levels are near the limit of what your fish can handle, the subtle variation is often enough to kill them.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
This really makes me not to want to setup co2 now. Explosions!?!?!?

-----
Brad

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
This really makes me not to want to setup co2 now. Explosions!?!?!?
don't forget the cats and dogs living together! it's horrible

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
don't forget the cats and dogs living together! it's horrible
Yeah, I also heard that the Democrats will take away all your money and give it to the poor, socializing your remaining aquarium(s) for the people.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have never had this happen...I think if you keep the pressure down around 25-30psi this whole tank dump will be avoided.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
there is no such thing as a tank dump, its simply that the flow/pressure(haven't figured out what yet

+1

totally agree

75 Dirted

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
I'm kind of concerned. I'm using a 20 oz paintball co2 set up. What's the protocol to print dumps ad what not? Is this really common? Dont mean to sound crazy. Just a little concerned. Lmao.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd760 View Post
I'm kind of concerned. I'm using a 20 oz paintball co2 set up. What's the protocol to print dumps ad what not? Is this really common? Dont mean to sound crazy. Just a little concerned. Lmao.
LOL dont concern yourself with a "dump" from a paintball setup. There isnt enough pressure.

75 Dirted

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...w-results.html

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I use an old Dupla 400 regulator with only a low pressure gauge and I try to keep the tank full to avoid the EOTD, I use Aquarix aquarium software to keep a 50 day schedule for my 5 pound CO2 tank. In the past I've used the Dupla 400 in tank reactor and I currently use AP.com's CarbonDoser EXT5000 external reactor, but with either I have let the CO2 go too long and my experience with the EOTD have not been violent and I've never experienced any fish death.

Maybe it's the size of my tank (150) or the way the Dupla regulator functions but even with sensitive species like fresh water clams I've had no deaths and the EOTD really goes un-noticed except for slowed plant growth. At the time I purchased my Dupla CO2 kit there was not very much available in the CO2 line up and Dupla was top of the line if you could find it for sale in the US, this could also explain why my EOTD is so un-eventful.

To be honest the only CO2 explosions I've heard about were from DIY yeast bottles, etc. and if you think about it how could the EOTD blow up a fish tank, the gas would just bubble out at the water suface without it being a sealed system there is no way for a tank to get damaged.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
I posted videos half way down.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode