Reusing power filter cartridges - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Reusing power filter cartridges

Does anybody reuse power filter cartridges? I run one for four months in the row without changing water in my 29 gallons tank. When removed it, it was pretty black. I rinsed off the muck, dried out on the sun and it seems suitable to be used again for some time. I have some extra, but may be I can prolong life of the old one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i used to rinse and reuse all the time, but eventually they either break down or get clogged up really quickly bc you cant get ALL the gunk out of them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:54 AM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Try to not throw your filter out at all unless it starts falling apart. That's where most of your beneficial bacteria is to keep your tank cycled. If you notice it's starting to fall apart stick another filter pad in it to start getting the bacteria on it before throwing out the old one.

You should probably only gently rinse out the current filter pad in old tank water so as not to desturb the good bacteria otherwise you'll send your tank into hopefully only a mine cycle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
Try to not throw your filter out at all unless it starts falling apart. That's where most of your beneficial bacteria is to keep your tank cycled. If you notice it's starting to fall apart stick another filter pad in it to start getting the bacteria on it before throwing out the old one.

You should probably only gently rinse out the current filter pad in old tank water so as not to desturb the good bacteria otherwise you'll send your tank into hopefully only a mine cycle.
most hob's have a sponge that you dont rinse ever to prevent this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 AM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would so love to get a new filter as my 5 filters are at least a 4 years old and never came with a sponge just filter pads. The current pads I have on this tank are 3 years old I think and still going strong thankfully but about a week or two ago I stuck a couple empty pads in the emperor filter to help cycle a couple of my other tanks i'm getting ready to start up again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
My penguin holds two filters so when the flow slows I take one out and hose it off really good a month later I either hose the other off or just replace it with a new one

SunSun Pimp #57

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use a high pressure jet of water (a dental irrigator) to blast the gunk out when they get really clogged.

For thick filter sponges that are beyond even that treatment, I put them in the washing machine with hot water and oxygen bleach. Then run again twice with no bleach, just to make sure every bit of detergent is removed. Clean as a whistle.

Just make sure that is not your sole filter media, as it removes all the biofilter bacteria as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you all for the sharing your experiences with filter cartridges. I was surprized, when I discovered that they are pretty expensive in Petsmart. I washed the old one, dried it on the sun and saw that it became not bad for the job. This would help to save some bucks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
The worst ones for reusing are the Rena HOB's. I see that API's canister filter is using a similar filter sleeve. At the price they get for them the filter should be priced like ink jet printers since they stick you with the replacements.

For my Rena HOB I'm now using filter batting cut and rubber banded around the holder. I can go a lot longer between cleanings. The Rena is designed so that when the filter is plugged up the water ends up on the floor. They failed to put in an bypass overlow in those filters. lol
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 PM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ufimych you should be able to get many many months out of it with out having to change it with just rinsing it good in your old tank water. Everytime you change them out for a different one you lose all that benneficial bacteria.

Tags
power filter cartridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode