transitioning crypts from submerged to emersed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
transitioning crypts from submerged to emersed

I'm having difficulty locating information specific to tips for moving crypts from submerged to emersed. Does anyone have any links or information concerning this subject that they could share?

I have a Crypt Nurii in a small pot filled with aquasoil and a clay mixture. I have this pot submerged in the top of my aquarium so that the roots are in the water but the rhizome and leaves are exposed to the air. With that said, it is exposed to the 7hr/day lighting cycle that is used for the tank as well. Is this ample lighting? Am I headed in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have not been successful in crypts out of the water. I had one that did fairly well and grew new leaves but after a few weeks they died back. I have had luck with Anubias though, basically planted as you described your crypt is planted, roots in the water, leaves out.

good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The air may not be humid enough for the leaves. Usually they are grown in a covered container so the humidity is close to 100% and gradually reduced. Even when fully acclimated, they don't like dry, open air.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
There's really nothing to it. I have some Crypt. wendtii and Crypt parva in my emersed setup and they grow just fine. Soil is a good substrate.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i have a few species of crypt as well.. the do fine after adjusting to 70% humidity and heat in excess of 95 degree some days

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
It looks like gowers keep the soil completely saturated with water and only the plant leaves and the base of the plant are emersed from this very wet soil, most I've seen are in large building with very high humidity, according to Florida Aquatic Nurseries Crypt melt is not something the plant suffers from emersed and you should see some very strong plants with a different leaf structure/shape and nice flowers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode