moss, netting, riccia, and mesh - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
moss, netting, riccia, and mesh

What's the best netting to use to attach moss to rocks? Not really interested in using cotton thread or fishing line. I'll try to use this for some java moss, fissidens, and maybe some others.

Also thinking about making a mini riccia lawn. What's a good mesh for that?

And where do you get these materials?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
There are many options. Some ppl prefer thread do to the ability of some fish to snag themselves in netting, but IMO it is not as effective as other options.

IME a synthetic loofah like this: http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-phot...h-image1508633 can be easily taken apart and used quite effectively for attaching moss to rocks.

Most ppl that make carpets out of riccia use some kind of mesh screening, I myself have used screen door mesh with mixed results (after it grows too tall out of the mesh, you start loosing big clumps of it).

You can buy the loofahs at any wal-mart or target. The screening can be picked up at a HD or lowes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
To do a riccia carpet, I used 4" slate tiles with a cut up loofah to hold it together, like mentioned above. It is time consuming to stitch down, but I liked the results. You have to keep it trimmed somewhat close to the mesh though, otherwise the riccia underneath will die and no longer hold anything down, and the whole thing will float to the top. I used rocks previously, which looked like rolling hills when it grew out. I gave up on them because it was too hard to keep them trimmed short cause they were all different sizes and shapes. Picked up the tiles at Home Depot and the loofah's from the 99 cent store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0144.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	34141  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Wow, nice carpet. I agree, Riccia round rocks looks nice at first and then they get messy real fast. Actually Riccia with anything gets messy fast.

Misfit- so how often are your hands getting wet to trim?

Well the snail trap is not working. Maybe wrong bait. I did not have cucumber or cabbage at home so I put some banana instead but they all climb to the wall of the tank. Maybe they know it is a trap. Will try one more night and observe. This time with cucumber which is recommended. ~ CHUNTC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoteh View Post
Misfit- so how often are your hands getting wet to trim?
I do a water change every week, and net out anything that's on the surface every few days. I only trim the carpet about every two weeks, although I have gone longer than that without too much trouble. My original thought was to be able to take the tiles out and trim them so that all the small peices didn't end up in the tank. I quickly found that doing it that way doesn't let it fill in and you can see where each tile starts and ends. I bought an 8" net and bent the handle straight up so that it forms a 90 degree bend. I hold that over the riccia as I cut and it catches most everything.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
I bought an 8" net and bent the handle straight up so that it forms a 90 degree bend. I hold that over the riccia as I cut and it catches most everything.
Hmm not a bad idea. Might look into that next time I do messy foreground trimming.

Well the snail trap is not working. Maybe wrong bait. I did not have cucumber or cabbage at home so I put some banana instead but they all climb to the wall of the tank. Maybe they know it is a trap. Will try one more night and observe. This time with cucumber which is recommended. ~ CHUNTC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
do u put the nettimg over the rica and let it grow through it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by they call me bruce View Post
do u put the nettimg over the rica and let it grow through it?
Yep, you got it. That's why you have to keep it semi short; so the riccia under the net doesn't die and let the other stuff float away. I just put a patch of riccia on the tile wrapped it in net and sewed it together with fishing line.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I use the net bag that onions come in to hold down Riccia. Its bright orange, but it disappears after a few days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode