Yea or nay on 20L tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question Yea or nay on 20L tanks?

I've been thinking about getting three 20L tanks in the future (as in winter) and stacking them at a comfortable eye level on one of those industrial capacity metal shelving units. Making each a one species tank, simply planted and with driftwood/rocks. Low tech, low light, no Co2 added.
I like a long horizontal look, but I wonder if the exaggerated lines of a 20L are difficult to plant in an appealing way? Low light plants, mind you. I like anubias, so that may well be the main plants used, although I'd really like to get a vertical focal plant in each tank.
I wonder if it will be hard to light - I mean, are there such things as one light T8s? Or one light T5NOs?
Curious as to other's opinions!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Given how you plan to put them in a metal shelving unit, why not just use T8 strip lights like http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...Id=57874887123 perhaps in a section of aluminum rain gutter running the total length of the tanks to act as a reflector.

Hoppy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Something like that would work great - I'll have to go to our local home improvement centers & see what they have like that for T8's. I don't want T12's (like in the ad) for energy consumption reasons. I think T12's will stop being produced in the next few years, too.
The idea of making a reflector out of rain gutter is good - I can bend the metal in such a way as to block light from hitting me in the eyes...
thanks Hoppy!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think what he was trying to say is use the gutter as a housing. This is what I'll most likely do with my 20L. Should cost about 20 dollars max since you can find most of the things for free in craigslist and construction site trash dumps.

Pssttt.... I heard you like anubias on your 20L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSousay of ChiclidForums

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's very cool looking! I have no idea what guttering looks like, obviously - lol. Duh, it's already bent to shape...
It looks like you attached wood to the light fixture, then attached the side of the gutter to the wood - is that right? How does air circulate? (wondering about heat build-up, as I have glass covered tanks)
Anyway, it's a very clever DIY project!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
i love the shape of 20longs! IMHO they are a good tank that isnt too big

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have a black metal stand in the shed that is made to hold two 20Ls, I used to have a Chinese Water Dragon in a 20L. I may use that stand if I can raise it up on cinder blocks, then build a base to hide the blocks - the bottom tank will be far lower than I'd like otherwise. The only thing I fear in using an industrial grade metal shelf for three tanks is; there's still more room for a ten or two...lol.
If I raise the tank stand, I'll anchor it to wall studs. (cats = tippy)

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Still room for 2 more 10g? I think this is a great excuse for using a canister filter Tell the significant other it's either canister filters, or extra tanks. Either way, win/win situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
It looks like you attached wood to the light fixture, then attached the side of the gutter to the wood - is that right? How does air circulate? (wondering about heat build-up, as I have glass covered tanks)
Not mine, but It's what inspiring me. I'm assuming the wood is for attachment and is secured by multiple screws to attach it to the inside. Then the light fixture itself is then screwed onto the wood. As for air circulation, I would have either put a fan on both ends or drill a bunch of holes hidden in the back for vent.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ter-light.html
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/an-eas...t-3807914.html
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ighting-47298/

The 20L should be large enough that the heat generated by this fixture wouldn't have an adverse effect to the tank. <-- take it with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
i love the shape of 20longs! IMHO they are a good tank that isnt too big
I agree. 20Long, 30Breeder, and 40Breeder are ideal dimension for their size.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was very close to buying a 20L after my 29 cracked, but it just looked very short at the store... although I bet it is the ideal tank for making a water/land setup for a few crabs/frogs and those sort of habitats.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've got one set up as a holding tank and three on the deck that need to be cleaned. 20L & 40B are two of my favorite standard size tanks.

At any given point EVERY fish club in America has someone selling off a fish room 20l & 40B can always be found, old & maybe a bit nasty but, at a very fair price. I got my 4 -20lfor $5 ea. Even at a $1 a gal at PetCo annual sale it's still good.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode