Help with "dirt" on plants. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Help with "dirt" on plants.

What's going on guys, I've recently did a major water change, cleaned out canister filters, pads, etc..

I use pool filter sand for substrate, every time I move stuff around this "dirt" like things start kicking up and stick to my plants, filters, walls everything! It's really ugly and It's taking away the beauty of some of my plants because of that..

Any of you experience anything like it? and how do you get rid of it...

ps. I do remove some with my hand, like shake the plant around but it just comes back the next day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it like a slime? In my smallest tank, after I do major water changes or rearrangements of the plants I often see this thick muck build up on the plants and gravel afterward. I don't actually know what causes it, but I always assumed it was a complex of proteins/detritus/pond snail slime that sticks together after being disturbed from the surfaces in the tank. If you have the same thing, I'd say it's nothing to worry about and as long as your filter is running well it should go away in a few days. I've found that sucking it up with a turkey baster or just brushing it off of the areas where it is sticking tends to clear it up more quickly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode