Help with stocking a 26 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with stocking a 26 gallon

Just got an acrylic 26 gal (36x12x16) and I'm wondering about the amount of fish I could put in it. I'm considering the following:

2 German Blue Rams
6+ Panda Cory Doras
a few guppies/endlers
maybe Cardinal/Neon Tetras
maybe some shrimp

Numbers are not exact, however I really want to have as many GBRs as I can, and a school of corys.

Side note: I've never had GBRs or any cichlids, any advice and all recommendations are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Algae Grower

Personally, i would keep it to 4 GBRs as they are very territorial and can get aggressive with each other. I would probably advise trying to get 2 males and 2 females. I would get a solid bunch of about 4-5 guppies, 6 Panda corys, and as many shrimp as you want. I would do either the guppies or the tetras, but doing both seems like a little much.

I personally have a GBR and i have had no problems keeping it except that he is picky and doesnt like to eat flake food, but he sure loves brine shrimp. He is very peaceful with my mollies. A great fish and i cant wait to get a female to join him

20 Gallon High- Diy co2, 48w, flourite. Still new to this whole planted tank thing
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

4 sounds much better, I'll try my best to get 2 males/2 females. I won't likely won't get tetras, and maybe not even shrimp. Thanks!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Adult rams eat shrimp. Really one pair would be best so they can have the tank in peace. you might check out cichlid-forum.com for more focused info on those guys.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I recommend keeping just 2 rams, preferably a pair.
I had 2 males in a 29 and they were fine until a rescaped then one took over the tank.

I like tetras over guppies.

and as someone else said 6 cories is a good number.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
If you want shrimp, Amano shrimp should be fine. They can hold their own with some fish that would eat smaller fish. I used to have a trio with a breeding pair of kribensis until the male went into muderer mode and killed one of them as well as his mate. Just get some larger amano shrimp, they can be pretty boisterous, and should be fine with rams.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

yeah that sounds like agood amount of fish but like others said rams can be annoying, also amano shrimp are great but bamboo shrimp are aslo great, also guppies can be annoying if they breed too much but sometimes amanos will eat the dead fry which is a plus.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. I'm still setting up the tank, and waiting for it to cycle. I might add a few guppies in this weekend.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode