Carbon in planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Carbon in planted tank?

I might have just wasted another $35 buying carbon, thinking it will clear water for my planted aquarium ..

Problem #1: The water is extremely yellow- more like copper-colored. New aquarium, set up a week ago. The substrate I used is a a layer of peat moss with aquarium sand over it. I don't know if this color is from the dissolving peat .. some peat has surfaced and is sitting on the top layer of sand. How do I remove the colored water?

Problem #2: I thought carbon would remove the color, so bought it for $35 and stuck the bag in the filter. So far, it hasn't removed any color. (2 days) And I already have plants in there.. and just now heard that carbon is bad for planted tank. Is this true? I plan on moderate-high light plants that need nutrients, like dwarf hairgrass and baby tears. What do I do? If I take it out, where/how do I save it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Carbon in the filter will do no harm, but it will also do little good for your problem. I think your best course would be to teardown the tank and rebuild it without the thick layer of peat in the substrate. Use MTS if you want a cheap way of getting a nutrient rich substrate, or use a commercial substrate. Right now, as fast as the carbon can remove the color from the water more is leaching from the peat.

Hoppy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Or go with the peat and make a biotope.

I'd tear it down...

jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah, so peat in the substrate will make colored water 100% of the time, so solution? Dang ...
Any other options?
The tank isn't the easiest thing to tear down, it's 55 gallons.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to WATduh
caykuu, peat will def. tea color your water. Same as driftwood, but I presoak my driftwood to remove most of the tannin. Have you considered using Seachem Purigen?

I have used Purigen to clear discoloration from my water before (caused by driftwood). I have never used to it clear discoloration from peat because I have never used peat.

Supposedly Purigen does not remove trace elements that are beneficial to your plants- like Carbon does.

50b Amazonian Biotype
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check my latest tank videos below:

~02-28-2012 Update Video

~Dripping in New Otos
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll check up on that-- now deciding between switching do a different substrate altogether, or using Purigen.

Assuming I tear down the tank and switch to Eco-Complete... does eco-complete make the water yellow/color it? :\

I'm also planning on a densely planted tank. Will that eventually have any effect on the yellow water --> make it clear?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm still sorta new to this, but I'm pretty sure peat will always color the water, even if you have it heavily planted. If you wanted you could do a blackwater biotope I also think peat substrate can be pretty messy too.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
purigen and carbon will both remove the color, but as hoppy said, the peat is still producing color. ur fighting a losing battle... remove the peat if u dont like it

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You: 0

Peat: 1
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Keep doing 50+% water changes every week for a about 3 months. The water will clear.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
You: 0

Peat: 1
LOL!

I like my peaty water, but I know it's not for everyone...

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have the same thing in my newly established walstad tank. Its just going to take some time, up to a few months of large water changes.

You'll get used to it, I know I am.

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode