Now what?!? White worms on glass, and another thing... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Angry Now what?!? White worms on glass, and another thing...

Ok, what's up? I've never experienced these things in tanks before - is this the cost of having live plants, or did they come in on fish? Today I'm seeing lots of tiny white worms on the glass. I think they might have black (dark) heads, but they are so tiny it's hard to tell. Also, see the crown shaped thing to the lower left? I know I've seen pics of these before, but I can't remember what they are called. So, are my fish in danger? What should I do? I can reach in & squish all the worms I see, but I'm sure an explosion is in the making...

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by driftwoodhunter; 08-26-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You have planaria. Quite frequent in aquarium..
You should get rid of them right away.. They will multiply very quickly..
There are a few ways to eradicate them. The best are using animal dewormer that contain flubendezaol or fenbendazol.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
The crown shape thing is a hydra which can also be taken care of with the dewormer.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

What a way to turn Sat. into water change day! lol Just did a 20% change on both tanks, hoping to help...I turned on a 36" bubble wand for the first time yesterday - could that have triggered the climb up the glass? (they were all heading up) I'm assuming they're normally in the substrate?
BTW, without thinking, I poured the water on my pepper plants on my deck - like I always do. Should I toss the peppers? Can these things transfer to people like a tapeworm? Ugh, I'm so grossed out! lol Think I'll toss them anyway - lol
So, I guess you mean a liquid dewormer for cats & dogs - what amount would I put in the tank - it's a 55. I haven't seen any in the 40b, but I'll treat it too. Is it safe to treat with the fish in the tank or do they have to be caught & removed? Do I do a water change after the treatment, and if so, how long do I wait from the treatment time to the water change time?
Thanks,
PS, I work at Walmart - do you think the common dewormers like we carry have the ingredients I need? It would save me making a special trip out to Petsmart today...
OMG, I'm going to vomit! I just Googled planaria - I'm ripping those peppers out pronto! YUK! It looks like a d*mn leech! And it gets huge! I have major bug phobia - no legs or too many legs - that's what gets me the most. Two legs, four legs. Anything else must die.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Thats the nature of plantedtanks. Although you can get a tank completely clean of all things except for what animals and plants u put in it, chances are that it will never be 100% In the end, its easier to accept small levels of harmless critters in the tank such as snails and copepods.

That being said, I don't think thats planaria or hydra. Although I need a better picture to see if it is hydra. I'm not entirely sure what they are but I had them as well. I guess they are plant worms. I threw some snails in and they ate them. Same with any glass suckers, plecos and such. You can try the dewormer as that is relatively safe. Plants and fishes arn't harmed by it and I never had a shrimp die from it. It can be found in almost any petshop that deals with dogs

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

well, these worms didn't have the split head as far as I could see, but I didn't look at them too closely. And they are very tiny yet - maybe the head isn't so developed. I can deal with it (not passing out now - past that - lol) IF they aren't harmful to fish. I squished what I could find, but I'll try to take a better look/pic. These were about the size of the commas in this text, and some were 1/2 longer than the comma. ( , )
I don't mind snails and things I can identify. I just want to know if it's harmful.
I still don't know how much dewormer to use for 55 & 40g...
if it's something that the snails would eat, I'd stop killing the snails..lol I hate putting chemicals into the tanks.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...nize-them.html

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

dr.tran -
I looked over that sticky twice, because the pic of the planaria was so different than what I was seeing. The plant worms, on the other hand, look like them. Again, I didn't get a close look and they are still very tiny, so perhaps not fully formed.
If they are planaria, the reading I've been doing this morning says they are not parasitic or harmful, so I will keep vacuuming the soil & do water changes to see what happens. If I get an explosion, then I'll treat with dewormer. That's what I say now, but if I get too creeped out, dewormer it is! I also just read a "pinch" of dewormer per 10 gallons. I thought all dewormer was liquid? Oh well, I can guess a "pinch".
It's interesting to me that this is in the dirt tank, and I haven't seen any in the non-dirt tank. I also never saw them until I disturbed the soil/water with the turbulence of the bubble wand. I bought the bubble wand because the 55 is a very still blackwater tank (or was until my water change today. I miss the tannins!) Guess I really stirred things up!
I didn't think I was overfeeding the fish, but since I overfeed myself, how can I really tell - lol.
So, doctor, did you deworm, or handle it more naturally?

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I didn't know that planaria where harmful to fish I've had them in my 20 gallon for a while never had an problems with them. If you see them when you light is on then you probably do have a lot of them. From what I've read the problem is less about the planaria and more about the conditions in the tank to allow an outbreak. Things like overfeeding will help them have a constant food source. The conditions that allow them to thrive can be a problem for your fish. I don't think they get any bigger then the ones you see in your aquarium, at least the species that are common in aquariums. You think planaria are bad I had a microbiology course and brought in some of my tank water to look at under a compound microscope it's amazing on one hand and disturbing if you like me didn't start off knowing how to start a syphon without your mouth the idea still makes me grimace.

I never needed the "For Dummies" book for my dogs but for a glass box WoW.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I took some other pics of a worm (still a bunch in there) and I do think it's planaria - when I zoomed in, one looked like the head was very slightly spade shaped. The others are hydras, def. Since I can't bear to look at the worms, pinches of dewormer it will be. The hydras are cute little buggers, tho.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIBluepitIxI View Post
I didn't know that planaria where harmful to fish I've had them in my 20 gallon for a while never had an problems with them. If you see them when you light is on then you probably do have a lot of them. From what I've read the problem is less about the planaria and more about the conditions in the tank to allow an outbreak. Things like overfeeding will help them have a constant food source. The conditions that allow them to thrive can be a problem for your fish. I don't think they get any bigger then the ones you see in your aquarium, at least the species that are common in aquariums. You think planaria are bad I had a microbiology course and brought in some of my tank water to look at under a compound microscope it's amazing on one hand and disturbing if you like me didn't start off knowing how to start a syphon without your mouth the idea still makes me grimace.
BLAH! You folks sure know how to help a dieter...lol
I'll cut back on the feeding amount - I'm worried they will starve! lol That's why I'm plump, to be sure ; )
I'll be happy if they don't get any bigger. When I did the google image thing, these giant leech-like creatures filled my computer screen. I gagged.
Think they'll die outside? Can I eat my peppers? lol

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I wanted an excuse to go to Petsart today. I'm off to get flubendezaol or fenbendazol. Seems the hydra are cute but dangerous, and the planaria are ugly but harmless. Isn't that always the way...
I read that mollies & blue gouramis (sp?) eat hydra - maybe I'll pick one of them up, too ; )

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i dewormed efore just be aware that it doesnt work for everything. One time I was told to used that for leaches. No use. And I agree, planaria are harmless just ugly

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
You can eat your peppers they'll be fine the worms will die in the soil as they are totally aquatic any dryness will kill them and they inturn will become fertilizer for the plants as well.

So water away. Eat and be merry ... we'll diet tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Lol - Good, those peppers are lookin' tasty!
I just came back from Petsmart - the smallest box of dewormer with fenbendazole was $12.00! It better work on the planaria/hyrda for that cost!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode