Wow,

My parameters seem to be pretty low.

My Ph is reading less than 6
My KH is reading about 40ppm
My GH is reading about 20ppm
Ammonia is 0
Nitrates are 0
Nitrites are 0

I think its time to lower my bio media ammount.. and add in some crushed coral..

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
If it ain't broke, don't mess with it. lol If everything is fine in your tank, I would leave it alone.

-----
Brad

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
I'd love to have your problem ... there doesn't seem to be one.

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really? They seem low to me.

And it's a new tank, not enough time to develop a problem yet lol

|
|

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKine View Post
Really? They seem low to me.

And it's a new tank, not enough time to develop a problem yet lol
Low in terms of what? I mean what are you comparing them too? Is there a certain species of fish or something, that you think will not do good in there?

-----
Brad

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Your plants will appreciate having a nitrate level around 10-20 ppm. Your biomedia amount isn't a factor in this. The GH should be higher, to ensure that you have adequate magnesium and calcium for the plants, but the KH is fine. The pH is where it is because the KH is where it is, and it's fine.

Hoppy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I still feel they are a bit low, so i have added about 1/4 cup of coral to the filter and ill monitor it over the next 72 hours.

I've always keep my tanks at 7-7.4ph, so its become a habit lol

|
|

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Biomedia doesn't have any effect on your water hardness. Why not just add some Ca and Mg if you think it's too low?

Don't get too hung up on pH. Of all the parameters of aquarium water it is probably the least important. Many of us stopped testing it years ago.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know the media doesnt effect the water hardness, but it will effect the nitrite.

|
|

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
I know the media doesnt effect the water hardness, but it will effect the nitrite.
Nitrite is supposed to be zero. It's nitrate that you want slightly above. Nitrate is the end product of bio filtration.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, the more simple form of nitrogen you cang ive to a plant the better.

Ammonium is what plants end up converting nitrites or nitrates into to use as supplement to make new proteins. It takes less energy for the plants to convert nitrites to ammonium, than it does to go from nitrates to ammonium. So preferably, you should have a slightly higher nitrite level. Now, nitrite can be harmful to some plants. Certain species of plants do prefer nitrites, some prefer nitrates. Ill just have to experiment.

An ammonium/nitrite level is heavily affected by the bio-media, so i've removed some of my media (about 50%) and ill be monitoring my levels.

|
|

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Your take on nitrification is news to me...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Certain species of plants do prefer nitrites, some prefer nitrates. Ill just have to experiment.
Never heard that before, but I do know that fish certainly don't prefer nitrites. Both ammonia and nitrite should be 0. Nitrate should be around 10-20.

How old is your test kit? I have heard that when nitrate test kits get old, they may show 0 nitrates no matter what the level.

It seems a bit silly to be monkeying around with your biomedia in an effort to raise nitrite. Wouldn't it be easier to dose some nitrate? And add some Ca and Mg to raise the GH?

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode