fish vs fishes. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
fish vs fishes.

I see a lot of people use the word fishes on here, and I am just wondering if they know they are using the word wrong.
The plural for fish is fish unless you are referring to multiple species, and then fishes is also allowed.
I.E. "The Amazon has many diverse fishes," although the sentence still sounds more correct if you just say "...diverse fish."
If you are referring to a group of one species, the plural is always fish.
I.E. "I caught a bunch of salmon today," said bob, "wow that sure is a bunch of fish!" Exclaimed Joe.
or. "I just don't know what to do with all these fish!"
or. "All of my fish have ich"
or. "Look how many fish are in this small pond!"
It is similiar to Deer, Elk, etc, although those animals words came from Native American, I'm not sure that fish did. Although I cannot find the origin of the word fish as it pertains to actual fish.

Don't wanna sound rude or anything, just letting you guys know, in case you didn't already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
IDK, I just come here to buy some equipments then find some informations.
lol
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
I see a lot of people use the word fishes on here, and I am just wondering if they know they are using the word wrong.
The plural for fish is fish unless you are referring to multiple species, and then fishes is also allowed.
I.E. "The Amazon has many diverse fishes," although the sentence still sounds more correct if you just say "...diverse fish."
I.E. "I caught a bunch of salmon today," said bob, "wow that sure is a bunch of fish!" Exclaimed Joe.
It is similiar to Deer, Elk, etc, although those animals words came from Native American, I'm not sure that fish did. Although I cannot find the origin of the word fish as it pertains to actual fish.

Don't wanna sound rude or anything, just letting you guys know, in case you didn't already!
lol.... I'm sure most of the people on here know.... I personally use fishies... because it sounds nice... There's alot of words English speakers use wrong. The current two in my area are stoled... "You stoled it from me!!"... I haven't really bothered to tell anyone that word means you are wearing a stole. And irregardless, which is a correct word. But people keep using it when they should be using regardless. And this is a problem everywhere I go. "She did really good!!" "He did so good on his test." I start twitching, and normally end up being the ass that corrects people in public... WELL!! WELL!! SHE DID REALLY WELL!!! Not that I don't make my own mistakes. I do... I just wish I wasn't the only child in my area who's punishment was copying the dictionary.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Their, there, they're yore going too be OK.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
According to good old Merriam-Webster, either pluralization is acceptable.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
fish is singular... it is also plural for several of the same species of fish.

Fishes is plural and refers to more than one species of fish.

But this is far more relaxed than it used to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post

Woot!!! The more you know!!!
Exciting... Thats not in any of the dictionaries in my house... of course my mom took all the nice dictionaries because, "she needed them".
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post

Yep. 20 Neon tetra fish, 40 Neon and Cardinal fishes.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
lol.... I'm sure most of the people on here know.... I personally use fishies... because it sounds nice... There's alot of words English speakers use wrong. The current two in my area are stoled... "You stoled it from me!!"... I haven't really bothered to tell anyone that word means you are wearing a stole. And irregardless, which is a correct word. But people keep using it when they should be using regardless. And this is a problem everywhere I go. "She did really good!!" "He did so good on his test." I start twitching, and normally end up being the ass that corrects people in public... WELL!! WELL!! SHE DID REALLY WELL!!! Not that I don't make my own mistakes. I do... I just wish I wasn't the only child in my area who's punishment was copying the dictionary.
Exactly.. Just remember this phrase.
Superman did good, you do well.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

Fishes just sounds childish, and is grammatically incorrect.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
For the most part I could care less about using proper grammar on a forum.

I'm usually writing posts in a hurry and don't always catch things that are wrong. If I notice something after the fact I will correct it but usually only if it impacts the meaning of the post.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
For the most part I could care less about using proper grammar on a forum.

I'm usually writing posts in a hurry and don't always catch things that are wrong. If I notice something after the fact I will correct it but usually only if it impacts the meaning of the post.

I'm with you

Best wishes,
Wes

You go with your bad self!
we be jammin!!!

I quit!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you are bothered by grammar on an internet forum you're gonna have an aneurysm. I've learned to be bothered only slightly by rampant misspelling and grammatical faux-pas. For me, myself, I always proofread before i post. Like it or not, people will weigh your opinion (and their* perception of your intelligence) by what your grammar and spelling is like.

EDIT:* = Another one of those big pet peeves are the their/there/they're mistakes. Toss to/too/two in their as well, and you've got a literary carpet-bomb
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post

See: Fish or Fishes
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't mind an occasional mistake since it doesn't really matter. I've been a regular fish-board poster since Compuserve's Fishnet in the mid 90's. I'd be embarrassed if I consistently posted in a manner that made people wonder if I was old enough to start school. lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode