Tank Redone New Issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank Redone New Issues

I previously posted that I was going to completely redo my 55 Gal freshwater planted tank that had been running for about one year after it became an algae and plant jungle. This was my first attempt at a planted tank and I am sure I made all of the classic mistakes, snails from purchased plants, adding bamboo, etc.
I did "finish" the redo tank which is now planted using the Eco-Complete substrate and gravel mix from the old tank setup on top of Flora Max substrate. I now only have 2 large ceramic rocks, three (3) medium pieces of Malaysian driftwood (soaked for at least 2 weeks) and a mixture of plants. All of the stem plants were given an iron tab when planted and I have added Seachem Flourish several times to the water. This tank also has a semi-automatic CO2 system attached to 20 lb. cylinder on a timer with the lights - both on for 9 hours a day. Also, because I could not obtain the 54 watt Hagen GLO light bulbs locally, I added a Zoo Med 54Watt Ultra Sun bulb and a 54 watt Flora Sun bulb to my Hagen GLO lighting fixture. I am currently running a Cascade Canister filter and a Drs. Foster and Smith Power Filter with water skimmer, both of which were recently changed. I have 2 large Angels, 1 Red-tailed shark, 5 Cory cats, 5-6 Otos and 5 small danios already in the tank.
I just returned from a short vacation and noticed that though the plants seem to be growing one of the plants had red leaves and they are now light green to yellow but this plant has grown and there is green algae on the tops of both rocks. Does this seem like the tank is doing alright for a 'newly' completed redo?
Thanks -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
So a newly reset 55 gallon tank with 2 T5 HO bulbs and CO2 that is well stocked?

That is a good amount of light, what fertz are you using? My well lit and CO2 enriched tank only took off once I learned how to use nitrate, phosphate, potassium and micros.

Good that the plants are growing, red happens when it happens don't be concerned. The tank is likely to go through some algae burps. Green Dust and diatoms are the usual first arrivals. If you have strong plants growing well then they may not stick around for long.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Kathyy

Thanks for your quick response to my post.
As far as fertz I have Seachem Flourish and recently purchased iron tabs and trace tabs but am not sure about how frequently to use them. Also, I really have no idea about nitrate, phosphate, potassium and micros as far as when and how to add them if needed.
You stated that your tank took off once you learned about these 4 elements - how did you learn? Here in Maine there are no good Aquarium Supply stores or plant authority and we rely on the chains: Petco and Pet Life.
Thanks again - I will look into those 4 elements you mentioned.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Additional Info

Thanks again for your input.
I have already ordered some Seachem Flourish Potassium, Phosphate and Nitrogen and will follow dosing instructions weekly to see if the plants do better. I already have gallon jugs of Flourish Excel and Flourish Micro liquid.
I also neglected to mention in my prior posts that when I redid my tank I added a 48 inch air tube so that air bubbles come up infrequently at places along the length of the middle of the tank - it looks nice. I believed that I saw somewhere that air flow under the substrate was a good thing but if it is not or this will hurt my CO2 infusion I can simply unplug the air pump - any ideas on this?

Thanks again.

Johnny R

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode