(RAOK)-Leave me any feedback big or small - Fish photography tips and tricks (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
(RAOK)-Leave me any feedback big or small - Fish photography tips and tricks (56K)

Help me win this RAOK

This is my first planted tank and I'm really proud of it aside, from my scapeing abilities. its been running for about 2 months and ive recently come out of a long battle with hair algae.

Tank Specs:
2X39W T5HO
Paintball CO2
EI Ferts
Eco Complete mixed with Fluorite red for the substrate

Scape
I really like what i have done with the left side, the right side not so much. for my scape i want to try and do something like this http://rainforesteco.files.wordpress...orest-edge.jpg except the trees will be on the left. i think another member on here was trying to go for something similar.

Plants
what type of carpeting plant would work best in my tank? ive tied micro swords with no luck. now im trying my hand at DHG but, only some nodes seem to be growing. i think my substrate is too big for the little stem to push out. maybe UG or HC might work?

Let me know what you guys think. leave me any suggestions you guys have and help me win this roak

FTS

Left Side

Right Side

and some tank mates just for fun

Pencil Fish

Oto and Bristle Nose Pleco

Orange Australe Killifish

Female

Apistogramma Cauctoides

Female

Kribensis

Note The only things done to these pictures was correct exposure and Brightness.

Last edited by zainey_04; 02-07-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would trade the coconut for a small pile of rocks for a cave.

I would get rid of the orange gravel, to me it distracts from the orange in your fish

I agree the left side looks great, the right side to me just looks as if it need to grow in some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
The too large gravel in my tank is distracting to me, bet the two toned substrate is bothering you! Once there is good cover it won't bother you but until then.........

The stems in the right corner would be nice if you arranged them into more of a bush that is as broader than it is tall. As it is they look a little forlorn. Or plant one of the hygrophilas around it to blend it to the lower stuff.

I like your round thing on the right but it looks very lonesome. If you found half a dozen more in varying sizes, put a couple near the wood and arrange the others on the right hand side.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Wow! What a beautiful apisto! Nice tank, too. I think if you got more of the plants that you already have on the right, and planted them evenly across the back and then more in the back left corner, it'd look great!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The orange stuff is actually crushed fluorite that was mixed in with Eco complete and yes it is a distraction. I've been meaning to get rid of it but, I would need a couple our to pick each one out by hand.

The stems on the right hand side are Limnophila Aromatica and they are growing at a slow to moderate rate for me. I've tried bunching them together but the leaves on the bottom part of the stems always seem to die off.

I've been looking for rocks to replace the coconut do a while now and havent seemed to have found any that I like. I was thinking of ryouh stones. They might work.

The Apisto was purchased at a recent ACA convention in Maryland and has really colored up in the past few weeks. I think they're also getting ready to breed.

Any ideas on why I have trouble growing stem plants in my conditions. Even with adequate CO2 can lighting still be too high?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What are some carpeting plants that don't demand a lot?

Last edited by zainey_04; 08-09-2011 at 02:56 AM.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
No don't bunch them, spread them out so the group isn't taller than it is wide. Have the outer stems shorter than the center stems and use one of your hygros as a transition to the low growing stuff.

Or maybe it would be better to move some of one of the crypt species over there so you are connecting the two plantings by repeating the rosette form on both sides. As it is you have rosettes with larger leaved plants on the left and stems and smaller leaved plants on the right.

Maybe Staurogyne would cover that substrate more quickly, it has larger leaves than most ground covers anyway.

Just suggestions, I would probably let the plants grow out for a while before deciding it isn't working. It is a very nice looking tank as it is.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see. I'll move over some of the smaller crypts and see how it looks. Btw I'm still looking for a good carpeting plant that does not demand a lot
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Tank looks like it's going to be stunning once it's fills in
For the cave if you can't find rocks to make a suitable cave, what about covering the coconut in moss?
For foreground Ive tried most... DHG, lilaeopsis, styrogyne, dwarf chain swords, and I think styrogyne repens would look best in your tank. It takes a bit to fill in, but looks really nice once it does.
Your fish are gorgeous!! Is the first one a caucatoides or agassizi? What about the last one?
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not a bad idea. I think Christmas moss might work. The Apisto is a caucatoides triple red and the last one is an orange australe killifish
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Just curious if this picture is photo shopped:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...k/DSC_2142.jpg

Cause if this how this fish really looks, that is amazing!

Oh and good luck on the contest!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
definately shopped.

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes the contrast was upped a little. I wish it looked like that normally
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I think it looks good, you just need to let it grow out.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
1st & foremost your tank and what you like is always best.

BUT, since you did ask

Consider a sand cap right over your current substrate.

In the FTS pic (1st pic) Run a ridge with the sand cap from the heater to the
right side on the tank. Basically, sloping down to both the front and the rear glass. So you just see the top 1/3 of the coconut cave. This will make it interesting to want to look over the little ridge.

Grow moss on the coconut cave. move some of the small foreground cyyts to the left front leaving a little open space left front center.

Don't mess with the left grouping it looks great now.

Add a bit tp the right rear planting.

Like I said you did ask

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode