how to clean up excess food on bottom - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question how to clean up excess food on bottom

i am starting to realize i have been overfeeding and have a layer of grayish leftover food on the bottom of my tank. currently I am using eco-complete plant substrate and i do not know how to get rid of these extra leftover fish flakes. any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Just vacuum lightly over the surface with a Python or something similar, reduce your feeding to very small amounts that can be eaten in 2 or 3 minutes and you can even skip a day and let the fish clean the tank a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
if you dont have a gravel vac you could use a turky baster (carefully or u will blow the food all over)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could also get some shrimp and/or snails to help out. I am a huge over feeder and my substrate stays pretty clean from my shrimp and snails.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Shrimp and snails will definitely clean up anything the fish miss. A few bottom dwelling fish can really help also.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Stop feeding so much and add a cleaning crew.

A good rule of thumb is to feed no more than fish will completely devour within about 5 min.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
A good rule of thumb is to feed no more than fish will completely devour within about 5 min.
I usually aim for what they can eat in about 2 minutes, but I also try to feed twice a day.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
I aim for 20 seconds and feed once a day. Sometimes it's gone in less than 10 seconds. Maybe it's too little compared to you guys!

-VeeSe

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
That method does not work with my CPD's.. they won't feed from the top, it has to be in transit to the bottom or they won't touch it. I have to overfeed because there is one bully that must have everything for herself so if I do not overfeed then the runt and the other non-alphas are out of luck while fatty gorges. Not all of us have that option.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazlightning View Post
You could also get some shrimp and/or snails to help out. I am a huge over feeder and my substrate stays pretty clean from my shrimp and snails.
this all happened when i first started to overfeed in order to feed the 7 ghost shrimps i have. then i got a large snail infestation, currently have over 25 pond snails in my tank. still it is not clean. i also picked up 2 khuli loaches. i am feeding my fish less now. but still does not help in getting rid of the excess food that's sitting at the bottom on top of the substrate.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
I aim for 20 seconds and feed once a day. Sometimes it's gone in less than 10 seconds. Maybe it's too little compared to you guys!
If the fish look healthy, I'm sure it's fine, though it sure doesn't sound like enough food.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
if you have a LAYER of food left and its gray! overfeeding is an understatement!
if you feed your fish in the quantity you do, your tank is a time bomb!
what fish do you have? maybe get a few cory's or a pleco. what size tank do you have?
how often do you do water changes?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny313 View Post
if you have a LAYER of food left and its gray! overfeeding is an understatement!
if you feed your fish in the quantity you do, your tank is a time bomb!
what fish do you have? maybe get a few cory's or a pleco. what size tank do you have?
how often do you do water changes?
that's what i was afraid of, all the nitrate building up from the leftover food. i usually do a 20% water change every month but i am injured right now and haven't done so in about 2 months. currently i have a 20g with 3 bettas, 5 tetras, 1 danio, 1 oto, 2 kuhli loaches, 3 ghost shrimps and a ton of snail. now that i think of it the leftover food are detrimental to my plants as my plants are not doing so well lately.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootlaws View Post
that's what i was afraid of, all the nitrate building up from the leftover food. i usually do a 20% water change every month but i am injured right now and haven't done so in about 2 months. currently i have a 20g with 3 bettas, 5 tetras, 1 danio, 1 oto, 2 kuhli loaches, 3 ghost shrimps and a ton of snail. now that i think of it the leftover food are detrimental to my plants as my plants are not doing so well lately.
The leftover food should be great nutrient for your plants once it breaks down. I would get some more shrimp, and some pygmy cories. They will go around your tank and clean up all your trash, including uneaten food that falls to the bottom.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have 6 BNP and at least 30 cories in my 90g so I have to target feed with sinking pellets. The stuff doesn't last long on the bottom though. Even mid and top water feeders have changed their evolutionary habits and eat off the substrate. lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode