Plant problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant problems

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with some well needed advice. I have a well stocked Juwel Vision 180 that uses 2 x 35w T5 lamps which are on from 2pm to 1am. The plants in my tank are 2 varieties of Anubias, Java Ferns and Crypts. As you can see from the photo some of the Anubias are not looking that great so I wondered what I might be doing wrong. The Java Ferns normally end up like this as well.

I do a 40ltr (22%) water change weekly and have been adding 1 capful of Flourish Excel every other day. I realise the plants I have in my tank are slow growers (but they are hardy) and are a necessity considering the fish species I have in my tank !

I have looked at using a DIY CO2 system but have read that they only benefit 30 gallon tanks or smaller. I do not want the cost of buying an expensive on the shelf CO2 system (don't think my other half would like all the paraphenalia that comes with it !) so I was going to change to EasyLife Carbo together with Easylife Profito
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P10003851.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	33486  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi there, normally when you get damaged leaves like that it is because of a nutrient deficit. You say you dose excel, the point of excel is to supply plenty of carbon which is the building blocks of plants, if there is plenty of carbon the plants will grow quicker but that must be complimented with fertilizer otherwise you will get leaf damage like you have.
I would suggest that you get either some dry ferts (the nutrient store) which is 1/10 of the price of liquid or get some flourish, tropica + etc...
If you see leaves like these you should remove the leaf, the leaf will never heal and the plant will use valuable nutrients, which are already short, to try and fix it. Cut off all damaged leaves immediately and new ones will grow in.
Bare in mind you have med/high light so the rest of your parameters need to match this, especially if you have your light on for 11 hours which is very long... 8hr should be closer to what you need.

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

900x750x450 optiwhite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your Plants

Hello Type...

Your plants look like they're burnt. Seachem's Flourish Excel can damage the more primitive plants like ferns, mosses and some varieties of Vallisneria. I had to stop using it for that reason. Some people swear by this fert, but it didn't work for me. The problem is a form of carbon called "Gluteraldehyde". The Flourish Excel contains a trace, 1.5 percent. But it's enough to damage some plants.

I'd recommend using another liquid fert. If you need some suggestions, I can tell you what I use.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Any recommendations would be gratefully received
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Follow Eser's advice. The leaves are not melted from excel unless you squirted it directly onto them with the filters turned off.

I don't know where you sit as far as relative light levels, but I would think the plants are deficient in macro elements.

BTW, it's not that DIY CO2 can only benefit small tanks. The reason most people don't recommend it for small tanks is due to the amount of fermentation required to get the CO2 levels up in a large volume of water. Somewhere above the 30 gallon range it becomes a big headache maintaining all of your little, bubbling bottles. DIY can and has been done on large tanks, though I would always recommend a pressurized system for stability's sake if for no other reason.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode