How much flow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
How much flow?

I have a standard 55 gallon and today I noticed that there was all kinds of detritus on the gravel so I stirred it up with a turkey baster. I looked at my flow and it really doesn't seem like enough to me. My filter is the SunSun 302 so it flows about 150 gph and that was all I was using. I added an old SEIO 620 I had lying around and closed the inlet a little. Now all the crap in my tank is stirring up and my plants are waving around. The tetras in the tank don't seem to mind at all but in none of the videos of other planted tanks do see this much flow. I come from the reefing world so when I think flow I expect something to be bent in half before we have enough. What do you guys shoot for? I figure I've got about 10 times turnover in the tank and 2 times through the filter.

"Hopefully everything doesn't turn out horribly ironic"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
The sunsun 302 is <100 GPH: more like 66GPH. I have two of them myself.
Do you have the in and the outlet on the same side or opposite ends?
It wouls seem that should you want to contine to use your SEIO 620, I would the intake and the spray bar on the same end. and put the SEIO 620 at the other end of tank.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Are you sure? The manual says Output: 265 GPH (1000L/h) and I read a review where the guy tested the flow rate with 5 gallon buckets and measured 150. Mine seems to flow a lot better than 66. I do have the intake and spraybar on opposite ends of the tank. I put the SEIO on the intake end so it would flow against the spraybar and create turbulance.

Reference thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...setup-amp-test

"Hopefully everything doesn't turn out horribly ironic"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfish View Post
Are you sure? The manual says Output: 265 GPH (1000L/h) and I read a review where the guy tested the flow rate with 5 gallon buckets and measured 150. Mine seems to flow a lot better than 66. I do have the intake and spraybar on opposite ends of the tank. I put the SEIO on the intake end so it would flow against the spraybar and create turbulance.

Reference thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...setup-amp-test
Yes, I am sure.

Manufactures consistantly overrate their products and the test you see in the bucket was without filter media. I've seen the test vid before I bought my first one some time way back far more than a year ago.

With filter media and by the time you get a little clogging going on, it slows the flow for sure.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with water and see how long it takes to drain. I would of course suggest you try this experiment outdoors.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-RETIRED
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
If all your plants are moving in every corner of the tank you are fine. My fish have to swim to stay in place in most of my tank and seem to love doing so. I have about 8x turnover between a sump going to a spraybar, in tank powerhead with a spraybar and another PH in an 96" long tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode